Electrician Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Estwing magic
27,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I was in the rep business, I attended a couple of Code Advisory Committee meetings in Alberta. Essentially, any interested party can make a submission to the committee to be voted on by the committee members.

If, in fact, CSA is proposing widespread use of AFCI's in residences in the 2015 code, it may be possible to fight it before adoption by the provinces. It isn't mandatory for a province to adopt the entire code book.

In my experience, the home builders and big resi contractors will fight anything that drives up costs.

Comments?

·
Electrical Contractor
5,618 Posts
It's not the material costs I am concerned about, it's the nuisance time, troubleshooting and callbacks. These devices are an inexact science at the best of times.
The suppliers and manufacturers will only replace the defective material.
We get diddly squat for our time. So we don't need more problem material to deal with.
Currently in a battle for $ 4200 airfare, 16 hours of labour , of which I probably wont see a penny sorry- nickel

·
:-)
3,670 Posts
It's not the material costs I am concerned about, it's the nuisance time, troubleshooting and callbacks. These devices are an inexact science at the best of times.
Well I've been winding down for sure but I must have 30 or so out there. No one has called me.

I think the bare ground wire in our nmd might be a bit of a problem. Make sure it is out of the way. Actually an insulated ground tail from the box to the device might help the 'speedy' electricians out.

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
When I was in the rep business, I attended a couple of Code Advisory Committee meetings in Alberta. Essentially, any interested party can make a submission to the committee to be voted on by the committee members.

If, in fact, CSA is proposing widespread use of AFCI's in residences in the 2015 code, it may be possible to fight it before adoption by the provinces. It isn't mandatory for a province to adopt the entire code book.

In my experience, the home builders and big resi contractors will fight anything that drives up costs.

Comments?
It's not always about $$ to us 99....

Real tradesmen 'fight' what they realize is a bullsh*t product , just as we'll advocate what is a good product.

The problem is, we do not have a voice to do so.

Using AFCI's as ex., i'd wager if anyone is keeping count, that more ROP's were round filed by our CMP-2 than any other code in the NEC's history

In fact, some of the CMP's responses imply they didn't read them at all:no:

I think of it like voting here....:whistling2::no:

~CS~

·
Estwing magic
27,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I haven't had a lot of call backs on AFCI's either but the ones I have had were a complete pain in the a$$. What happens when the appliance (for example, a vacuum cleaner) trips the breaker? I always tell customers not to plug vacuum cleaners into their bedroom receptacles. What happens if all receptacles are on AFCI's?

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I haven't had a lot of call backs on AFCI's either but the ones I have had were a complete pain in the a$$. What happens when the appliance (for example, a vacuum cleaner) trips the breaker? I always tell customers not to plug vacuum cleaners into their bedroom receptacles. What happens if all receptacles are on AFCI's?
You sell them a whole house vacuum system :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.