Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am working on a remodel and have to replace all the outlets and switches in the house. The house has aluminum wire through out. I am using the purple connectors for connecting aluminum to copper. My problem is this the existing boxes are to small in some cases to put one for the hot, neutral, and ground. The devices say only copper conductors. I need to know if one it is okay to connect the aluminum ground to the ground terminal and second where to find either code or proper documentation regarding this topic.

Thank you.

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
Not okay to put the ground on the screw terminal, unless the device is listed as CO/ALR or CU/AL. In which case you do not need to pigtail copper.

If it has AL with a line through it, that means aluminum cannot be terminated directly onto that device, including the ground screw.

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
I am working on a remodel and have to replace all the outlets and switches in the house. The house has aluminum wire through out. I am using the purple connectors for connecting aluminum to copper. My problem is this the existing boxes are to small in some cases to put one for the hot, neutral, and ground. The devices say only copper conductors. I need to know if one it is okay to connect the aluminum ground to the ground terminal and second where to find either code or proper documentation regarding this topic.

Thank you.

Hello Joe Welcome to the forum:thumbsup:

This is from the 2011 NEC.

406.3 Receptacle Rating and Type.
(A) Receptacles. Receptacles shall be listed and marked with the manufacturer’s name or identification and voltage and ampere ratings.
(B) Rating. Receptacles and cord connectors shall be rated not less than 15 amperes, 125 volts, or 15 amperes, 250 volts, and shall be of a type not suitable for use as lampholders.
Informational Note:  See 210.21(B) for receptacle ratings where installed on branch circuits.
(C) Receptacles for Aluminum Conductors. Receptacles rated 20 amperes or less and designed for the direct connection of aluminum conductors shall be marked CO/ALR.
So you must only install devices that are marked CO/ALR.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you very much for your responses. So my next question is this is what are the acceptable ways to achieve the copper pigtail. As I mentioned before some of the boxes do not have enough room for a third copper to aluminum connector.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Thank you very much for your responses. So my next question is this is what are the acceptable ways to achieve the copper pigtail. As I mentioned before some of the boxes do not have enough room for a third copper to aluminum connector.
If you can't fit it all into or are able to extend the box, you're going to have to put in a larger box

edit- or see post below

·
corn-fused
4,769 Posts
Basically are the purple AL to CU connectors my only option.
no. if the wire is in good shape and long enough youcan get cu/al devices from a sh. probly will have to be ordered and they are not cheap!

·
corn-fused
4,769 Posts
leviton. and the bill was 110.+ for 10 recs and 10 switches!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
bkmichael65 said:
If he doesn't have room for the purple twisters, he definitely won't have room for those
Those are what I'm using per what the sales person at my local shop said was necessary. What are the purple twisters u refer too?

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Fold the wires neatly so the Alumiconns lay flat against the back of the box. Just a thought.
Fold wires neatly? Everyone knows you're supposed to take a hammer and smash everything into the back of the box until you have enough room to mount your device :laughing:

·
Can't Remember
10,139 Posts
Sometimes you are going to have to remove the box and install larger smart or slider type boxes to get room. Let me guess, you are dealing with small nasty metal gem boxes?

·
animal lover /rat bastard
13,547 Posts
from a liability standpoint, you might want to read this article:

http://www.cpsc.gov//PageFiles/118856/516.pdf

reason being - this info is widely dispersed, making it a "reliable resource" and, because it is dispersed by a government agency, the information can be inferred to be "standard practice" for the "installation and repair of wiring". The quoted terms will be some of the terms the lawyer who is suing your company will use in court to explain to the jury why the customer with the burnt down or damaged house should receive a great deal of extra money, at your expense.

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
I don't bother with a purple on the grounds, reality serves that's since it carries no load except for only under a fault, I use regular wirenuts on them.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
from a liability standpoint, you might want to read this article:

http://www.cpsc.gov//PageFiles/118856/516.pdf
When you research that article you find a lot of mis-statements and you will find that most of the information came from Amp...the manufacturer of an expensive competitive product designed to solve the issue of aluminum device terminations.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts