Electrician Talk banner

Code for corline outdoors?

612 10
Is there a code rule that allows corline to be installed outdoors? A builder electrician left a rough in for a homeowner to install a future ev charger. We showed up and saw this box. Box is empty but I don't think we can use it and pass inspection. I know corline can be installed underground so it should be considered wet rated. If couplings are installed underground solvent needs to be used.
So this box in question, if solvent was used at the connector, would it be a code compliant install?

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Electrician
204 Posts
It’s not letting me post the pic but check out 12-1502. I would either cut it back and transition to pvc, or take that bend out and go right into the back of the box. Because to me it looks like there still finishing around that area?

·
Estwing magic
27,923 Posts
That’s awful but probably compliant. It would be easy enough to transition to PVC conduit. If there’s no room for an LB a capped elbow would work. You’re probably doing surgery anyway because the connector should be replaced (again, I’m not aware of a rule). It’s an easy fix and will be better for the customer.

·
Registered
Master Electrician - Ontario
4,033 Posts
Nowhere in the specs does it say that. In fact the connectors are "contrete-tite", so I think they would be "weather-tite". The only issue is that the ENT should not be exposed to sunlight... I don't think it is exposed, but I am not there to confirm.

Cheers
John

·
Registered
4th year electrical apprentice
592 Posts
That’s awful but probably compliant. It would be easy enough to transition to PVC conduit. If there’s no room for an LB a capped elbow would work. You’re probably doing surgery anyway because the connector should be replaced (again, I’m not aware of a rule). It’s an easy fix and will be better for the customer.
im sure it’d be fun trying to feed 8cu or 6al or bigger through that chit.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts