Electrician Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cannot find anything in the code, in my Master class there was a discussion about twisting stranded wire around the screw terminal on a receptacle or switch. Every company I've worked for its been standard practice not to. I never have. Is there anything in the code that states you cannot. I have heard that UL allows it to take place.

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
35,178 Posts
Nothing in the code prevents it .

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
Nothing in the code prevents it .
Wrong.......Well not really...:laughing:

2011 mass electrical code
110.14 A. Delete the last sentence of the first paragraph and insert the following two sentences in its place:
Connection by means of wire binding screws or studs and nuts having upturned lugs or equivalent shall be permitted for 10 AWG or smaller solid conductors. Where stranded conductors are terminated on and not looped through such terminals, the terminals shall be identified for such use, or the strands at the terminals shall be made solid.

I cannot find anything in the code, in my Master class there was a discussion about twisting stranded wire around the screw terminal on a receptacle or switch. Every company I've worked for its been standard practice not to. I never have. Is there anything in the code that states you cannot. I have heard that UL allows it to take place.
Dan keep in mind the mass amendments.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Harry. I had been told long ago it could not be done and I just didn't do it and carried it through my career. Thing that's weird is that here I am in a Master's course and am told to ignore Mass Amendments for testing with PSI but realize they are there. I have all the amendments flagged at each location in the code book to refer to the Mass Amendments.

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
Thanks Harry. I had been told long ago it could not be done and I just didn't do it and carried it through my career. Thing that's weird is that here I am in a Master's course and am told to ignore Mass Amendments for testing with PSI but realize they are there. I have all the amendments flagged at each location in the code book to refer to the Mass Amendments.
Dan,When are you taking the test?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will be taking the test at the earliest April 2014. My class finishes the end of February so with the wait time with PSI it will be in April. I will be able to use the 2011 code book. They don't start testing with 2014 book till after June.

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
I will be taking the test at the earliest April 2014. My class finishes the end of February so with the wait time with PSI it will be in April. I will be able to use the 2011 code book. They don't start testing with 2014 book till after June.
Good luck,that's all the incentive you need to pass it the first time so you will not have to learn the new book.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.