Electrician Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I work with a treatment plant client that wants a new half underground/ half exposed conduit installed. He wants it all PVC. Is there a place in the code were I can tell them that everything that is over ground can't be PVC? The conduit is 3" and carries 3 phase 4/0 wire.

·
Administrator
Retired EC
23,721 Posts
Why do you think pvc cannot be used above ground???

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is my quiestion. Is there something in the code for PVC conduit medium voltage above ground industrial?

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,117 Posts
352.12 Uses Not Permitted. PVC conduit shall not be used under the conditions specified in 352.12(A) through (E).
(A) Hazardous (Classified) Locations. In any hazardous(classified) location, except as permitted by other articles ofthis Code.
(B) Support of Luminaires.For the support of luminairesor other equipment not described in 352.10(H).
(C) Physical Damage. Where subject to physical damageunless identified for such use.
(D) Ambient Temperatures.Where subject to ambient temperatures in excess of 50°C (122°F) unless listed otherwise.
(E) Theaters and Similar Locations.In theaters and similar locations, except as provided in 518.4 and 520.5

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Remember that when you are talking about voltages over 600 or 1,000 depending on the code Article, you often have to look beyond the general rules, for more specific rules that apply to the higher voltage systems.
300.37 Aboveground Wiring Methods
Aboveground conductors shall be installed in rigid metal conduit, in intermediate meta l conduit, in electrical metallic tubing, in RTRC and PVC conduit, in cable trays, in auxiliary gutters, as busways, as cablebus, in other identified raceways, or as exposed runs of metal-clad cable suitable for the use and purpose. In locations accessible to qualified persons only, exposed runs of Type MV cables, bare conductors, and bare busbars shall also be permitted. Busbars shall be permitted to be either copper or aluminum.
Note that 352.12(C) is subject to interpretation by the local AHJ. They may require the use of Schedule 80 PVC or even say that you can't use PVC for this application.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.