Electrician Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, seems like that bugger of continued education has reared its ugly head again, so I get to spend a whole weekend dealing with code updates instead of, you know, fun things. Should at least be insightful, but the funny thing is, now that state of NH legislature has to approve the code cycle this time around instead of the state electrical board, so time will tell when the 2014 will actually go into effect. It used to be that the state electrical board would enforce the code as of July 1st of the code cycle year (so 2014 would kick in July 1 of this year), but not anymore.

Should be a good refresher anyways, since I am debating whether I want to get my master's license or not, and hardly ever pick up a code book these days.

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
Well, seems like that bugger of continued education has reared its ugly head again, so I get to spend a whole weekend dealing with code updates instead of, you know, fun things. Should at least be insightful, but the funny thing is, now that state of NH legislature has to approve the code cycle this time around instead of the state electrical board, so time will tell when the 2014 will actually go into effect. It used to be that the state electrical board would enforce the code as of July 1st of the code cycle year (so 2014 would kick in July 1 of this year), but not anymore.

Should be a good refresher anyways, since I am debating whether I want to get my master's license or not, and hardly ever pick up a code book these days.

Get your masters and dump your journeyman license..

I thought that a j-man cannot work without a master present on the Job, or did they change that?

·
Registered
6,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Get your masters and dump your journeyman license..

I thought that a j-man cannot work without a master present on the Job, or did they change that?
They changed that. I can work by myself just fine, I just can't pull permits. I am just debating, as my journeyman's license is reciprocal to something like 9 different states, but my master's is only reciprocal to Maine, VT and Mass.

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
They changed that. I can work by myself just fine, I just can't pull permits. I am just debating, as my journeyman's license is reciprocal to something like 9 different states, but my master's is only reciprocal to Maine, VT and Mass.
Ha!

If you have a mass masters you cannot reciprocate with Maine, but you can with New Hampshire and then you can reciprocate to Maine :laughing:

·
Registered
326 Posts
If NH is not on the 2014, why are all of the update guys in MA stating that you have to update before the end of the year on the 14 or your license would not be valid?

·
Can't Remember
10,434 Posts
They decided they want people to become familiar with it before it comes into play. They might even modify it like Mass does, who knows. People were waiting till the end of the current code cycles and then taking the class. Whats the point.

·
Registered
6,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They decided they want people to become familiar with it before it comes into play. They might even modify it like Mass does, who knows. People were waiting till the end of the current code cycles and then taking the class. Whats the point.
Yup. Might as well get the info before the code comes out instead of waiting until its been out for 2 years. Pretty logical if you ask me.

·
Can't Remember
10,434 Posts
I usually take it earlier on, get it out of the way. Got it done, don't have to use it yet, already forgetting things... It helps with awareness for sure. We are doing a six family on the west side of Manchvegas. Don't have to incorporate those changes here. Could be costly if I had to and wasn't aware.

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
Because if you wait till the end of the cycle you can throw the book away right after class...:jester::laughing:

·
Registered
6,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Done! Thank goodness I don't have to do that again for another 3 years. :laughing:

Decent instructor, but man, you can make code changes only so interesting. I drank enough coffee over the past 2 days to kill a small animal. Let's hope I don't forget too much considering 2014 won't be adopted until Jan 1, 2015 at the earliest.

·
Can't Remember
10,434 Posts
I am already losing it. I'll have to think when I go to Mass or next year when it starts here. We'll manage.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts