Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
10,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a long talk with a bigshot head inspector a bit back, and he said there will be a time when the code gets so excessive and complex that is going to drive the cost out of control to do anything at affordable levels and it's going to drive electricians to do things underground. Well, I think that time is now. What do you think about his "Nosterdamus" prediction ?

·
Banned
11,766 Posts
I had a long talk with a bigshot head inspector a bit back, and he said there will be a time when the code gets so excessive and complex that is going to drive the cost out of control to do anything at affordable levels and it's going to drive electricians to do things underground. Well, I think that time is now. What do you think about his "Nosterdamus" prediction ?

We are getting closer, maybe not today or tomorrow but in a short period of time the CMP will be in full control by the manufacturers. I can see the highest bidder getting there proposal put in.

As for the AFCIs I am already underground with them and I think a lot of guys are as well.

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,624 Posts

The code is fine just charge what your worth.

·
Banned
7,230 Posts
I can't imagine how we would make any money if the code wasn't crazy difficult to work with.

Do electricians in India make some good coin? Because it looks like they're all underground.

·
Banned
1,073 Posts
The code is fine just charge what your worth.
Have you seen the 2014??

So now a legit contractor comes to give an estimate for a panel upgrade and charges $2,000 more (just to cover the cost of the 36 required AFCI's) than the electrician who is willing to do it without a permit and not use the AFCI's.

·
Registered
10,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have you seen the 2014??

So now a legit contractor comes to give an estimate for a panel upgrade and charges $2,000 more (just to cover the cost of the 36 required AFCI's) than the electrician who is willing to do it without a permit and not use the AFCI's.
I give 2 prices when people want a permit. They usually change their mind and want the no permit one. Funny thing is I do the job exactly the same.

200 amp panel change no permit 2014 $1,100.00

Permit $ 2,350.00

Which one will they take?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Have you seen the 2014??

I haven't seen the '14 yet, but from what I heard ("oh you heard it?"....I know, I know)...but from what I heard, if you're just changing the panel, and you're not extending the branch circuits (I think it's "extending more than 20 feet"), then you don't have to upgrade to AFCI breakers. Is that not correct?

·
Registered
8,051 Posts
Dude you already did this thread like 6 months ago. Get your shít together man, you're slipping.

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,624 Posts
Have you seen the 2014??

We are not required to install AFCI's TO do a service upgrade,only new circuits.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Do inspectors ask for AFCI's? I do service upgrades all the time and put in a clause that if the AHJ requires them I will add their cost to the contract, and have yet to be told to install them. I've also never seen an inspector see if one ground rod is 25 ohms or less or ask if I've installed a second one.

·
:-)
3,670 Posts
I advertise "The Code changes often". "Use a Real Electrician".

Works for me.

·
animal lover /rat bastard
13,547 Posts
there is no limit to how extensive any code can get. the procurement rules for some gov't work take up a large bookshelf. a law library takes up a whole building. this thread is cletis.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Why do you think your psychiatrist knows anything about electrical code or can look into the future?

·
Banned
11,766 Posts
OSHA is already there.
That is so true If I could thank you more than once I would.

We are not required to install AFCI's TO do a service upgrade,only new circuits.

Not always, some inspectors argue Its a modification to existing wiring so it has to be. I think its more of them thinking its a safety enhancement thinking that AFCIs actually do something.

Do inspectors ask for AFCI's? I do service upgrades all the time and put in a clause that if the AHJ requires them I will add their cost to the contract, and have yet to be told to install them. I've also never seen an inspector see if one ground rod is 25 ohms or less or ask if I've installed a second one.
Some do some don't its one of those things that change from town to town county to county. Whats funny is some inspectors will ask for a 2nd rod even if you prove 1 is ok.

·
fertilizer distrubuter
1,250 Posts
I have one jurisdiction that requires 2 unless you prove it is less than 25 ohms. It is cheaper for me to add the second than buy the stupid meter.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts