Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Coffee drinking member
I pretwist and then use wire nuts. Solder pots rule.
14,586 Posts
Semi-Ret Electrician said:
I know of a bunch that have been burning for several years in a -40 F freezer. They came from Home Depot but were installed warm and never turned off.
I haven't tried the new LED's in the cold yet.
I think I'll toss one in for the next few days. It's going to be sub-zero for awhile.

Attachments

·
Coffee drinking member
I pretwist and then use wire nuts. Solder pots rule.
14,586 Posts
99cents said:
Stock up on incandescent A19's. When they run out, buy halogen A19's. I have even seen LED's underperform in cold weather.
I have been burning the halogens here the past few years and like them. I haven't had one burn out yet.

·
Registered
11,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I use whatever is cheap and they start, just takes a while to warm up.
temperature around here is near zero and some arent even starting. Most just warm up but remain dim.

I know of a bunch that have been burning for several years in a -40 F freezer.

They came from Home Depot but were installed warm and never turned off.
These are in post lights and exterior security lights.

·
I like ceiling fans & EMT
Former commercial, occasional (small) residential
1,642 Posts
I just use regular cheap CFLs in any temperature. They start dim but come up to full brightness eventually and I've not lost one prematurely.

·
Premium Member
20,981 Posts
There are quartz restrike kits that will work with fluorescent fixtures that have at least a 50W draw.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
You mean a vari resistor?
Yes that might work but for us to start selling them they would have to be listed.

The ones I've seen were wire into TV's to enable de-gaussing at start-up.

It would be hard wired into incandescent type circuits to lower the run voltage from 120V to say 110V (and soften the surge) which would greatly extend lamp life, at the expense of lumens, of course.

It would be like running a 130V lamp at 120V. They're starting to get scarce and pricey.

·
Premium Member
20,981 Posts
Yes that might work but for us to start selling them they would have to be listed.

The ones I've seen were wire into TV's to enable de-gaussing at start-up.

It would be hard wired into incandescent type circuits to lower the run voltage from 120V to say 110V (and soften the surge) which would greatly extend lamp life, at the expense of lumens, of course.

It would be like running a 130V lamp at 120V. They're starting to get scarce and pricey.
Theres used to be little "buttons" sold that you put in the bottom of the lampholder before you install the bulb that did just that. They looked like the flasher buttons, but they were a resistor type of thing.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.