Electrician Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the nec have any guidelines on color codeing as pertaining to voltages, I only found 110.15 marking high leg on 4 wire delta system ,Art.200 grounded conductors . I was led to believe there was....277/480 yellow,orange,brown 120/240 red,black,blue or is this just a practice of some electricians

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,115 Posts
Orange, white, green & green w/1 or more yellow stripes is just about it.

The NEC does not mandate black/red/white, black/red/blue/white or brown/orange/yellow/gray. Never has, and probably never will.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Orange, white, green & green w/1 or more yellow stripes is just about it.
The NEC does not mandate black/red/white, black/red/blue/white or brown/orange/yellow/gray. Never has, and probably never will.

Anything about how much of that tape must be wrapped at each termination? I have worked with men who insisted on half roll of 33+, others who said "one wrap'll do ya . . . " I subscribed to the 'one wrap theory' myself.

Work'in For That Free Tee . . .

·
Registered
625 Posts
could a ahj request something like that???? just trying to figure out where it came from
An AHJ can request anything he can he can conjure up. Can he make it stick?

Should you comply with his fantasies? Sure, why not, unless those fantasies cost a lot of bux. (You may just encounter him down the road. He may not remember your name, but he will remember your attitude!)

Work'in For That Free Tee . . .

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Purple!!...

...For the "bastard" leg. Don't care what they tell ya!
Alot of re-thinking around hear on the "orange" leg. Just habit and region. Thats all.

The colors are an "industry standard" aside from the GREEN (not sea foam green), white and natural grey.

My many years B,R,B<W-120/240-110/208. B,O,Y,GY-277/480.

Covers- yellow was 277/480. Blue. 120/240.
Blue/green-120/240 emergency. Yellow/green- 277/480 emergency.
Co. policy. (not a bad system, but not required either.).

·
Registered
186 Posts
Leland,
I don't understand the start of your post. Are you stating that orange for the high leg is only done by habit and region?
I haven't seen it but have been warned that purple used to be rather common for the high leg.

·
Modérateur
8,692 Posts
Leland,
I don't understand the start of your post. Are you stating that orange for the high leg is only done by habit and region?
I haven't seen it but have been warned that purple used to be rather common for the high leg.
Ray.,,

The purple is common used on 480Y/277 v system in some local area.

genrally if you see Black Orange Bleu or Black Orange Red [ some case ] that useally indcated a wild leg on 120/240v 3Ø 4W system.

each area is slightly diffrent on the taste of colours but as the most important colour you don't mess around is;
White
Grey
Green
Green/yellow stripe
Orange

that is the only colours they will listed in the NEC but for other colours it kinda mute on that.

but really a thumb of rules always i say always test the voltage.

Merci,Marc

·
Town Drunk
3,725 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Ray.,,

The purple is common used on 480Y/277 v system in some local area.

genrally if you see Black Orange Bleu or Black Orange Red [ some case ] that useally indcated a wild leg on 120/240v 3Ø 4W system.

each area is slightly diffrent on the taste of colours but as the most important colour you don't mess around is;
White
Grey
Green
Green/yellow stripe
Orange

that is the only colours they will listed in the NEC but for other colours it kinda mute on that.

but really a thumb of rules always i say always test the voltage.

Merci,Marc
Thank you Marc. I didn't know that purple was used for 480Y/277 in some areas. Today is a good day, I learned something new.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Does the nec have any guidelines on color codeing as pertaining to voltages, I only found 110.15 marking high leg on 4 wire delta system ,Art.200 grounded conductors . I was led to believe there was....277/480 yellow,orange,brown 120/240 red,black,blue or is this just a practice of some electricians
210.5 (C) States that you have to a color coding system to seperate the diffent voltages, and you have to have a sign permanently at each branch-circuit panelboard. I does't tell you what color to use.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I beleive one utility PSEG NJ required that 277/480 be brown,purple,yellow.

But for more colors in the Nec look at 504.80 c light blue for intrinsically safe. That my friends is one of those trick Master exam questions!

·
R.I.P. 2014
4,722 Posts
Brown, Orange, Yellow = 277 Volts or higher

Black, Red, Blue = 120 Volts

White = 120 Volts Neutral

Grey = 277 Volts Neutral

Purple is usually used as a switch leg

Other than white, gray, green, and green with yellow, all of the rest is location or personal preference.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I worked with one foreman the insisted on pulling 12/3 MC for switches. He said the inspector gigged him once for feeding the switch with a white wire.

Other then that

Grey = 277 Volts Neutral

Green = Ground

Green/Yellow = Isolated ground

·
DGFVT
2,533 Posts
I worked with one foreman the insisted on pulling 12/3 MC for switches. He said the inspector gigged him once for feeding the switch with a white wire.
Waste of good wire.

Other then that

Grey = 277 Volts Neutral

Green = Ground

Green/Yellow = Isolated ground
Looks good to me.:thumbsup:

Maybe someone will submit this to NEC. It would be real convenient to have a standardized color code.

·
Registered
151 Posts
NEC2008
200.6(A) grounded conductor white or gray
250.119 grounding conductor green or green with one or more yellow stripes
424.35(1) 120v heating cable leads yellow
(2) 208v heating cable leads blue
(3) 240v heating cable leads red
(4) 277v heating cable leads brown
(5) 480v heating cable leads orange
110.15 "wild leg" phase orange if neutral is present
504.80(C) intrinsically safe light blue
517.160 (1) isolated power system orange with colored stripe other than white,green,gray
(2) brown with colored stripe other than white,green,gray
(3) yellow with colored stripe other than white,green,gray

when connected to 125v 1-phase 15/20a receptacles orange to "grounded" screw

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.