Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anybody tell me the code re reference for color coding of 120/208-240 and 480v systems. And proper phase order by color code? Only thing I have ever seen is orange for a high leg. And grounding conductor, and grounded conductor id. Just got a spanking for B-O-Y on 480. I know some use purple, he says orange is a code violation. I know AHJ has the right. Not questioning that. Purple - L1. Brown - L2. Yellow - L3. Maybe, I just need to study up, but I have never seen this. I'm used to good ole "BOY"

·
Registered
575 Posts
Generally speaking (there are a few requirements) there is no NEC mandated color coding for conductors.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,115 Posts
But, your suppose to match the existing coloring that's being used within the system.. Is that in the NEC?
They can all be the same color. But they must be marked to identify the system they're on. This can be tagging, etc. As long as there's a legend somewhere on premises to explain it.

·
Senile Member
373 Posts
All above are correct. Color coding in my area has been standardized as
480 v 3phase - brown, orange, yellow, gray neutral
208/120 volt 3phase- black,red,blue, white neutral
240/120 volt 3phase-black, orange( high leg),blue, white neutral
240/120 volt single phase-black,red, white neutral

Different areas use different standards and pocos can have their own unique standards.

·
Registered
712 Posts
All above are correct. Color coding in my area has been standardized as
480 v 3phase - brown, orange, yellow, gray neutral
208/120 volt 3phase- black,red,blue, white neutral
240/120 volt 3phase-black, orange( high leg),blue, white neutral
240/120 volt single phase-black,red, white neutral

Different areas use different standards and pocos can have their own unique standards.
i second this. how i have seen it.. heard of purple, never seen it.

·
Premium Member
20,049 Posts
When I see Brown Orange Purple, I just always assume someone that worked on the Alaskan Pipeliine or an oil job in Texas brought this back with them and it stuck as past practice.
Our sister local, 728 was kind of a suitcase local for a while and we see this all over Broward County.
Local 349, Miami, is a rock solid Brown Orange Yellow.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Can anybody tell me the code re reference for color coding of 120/208-240 and 480v systems. And proper phase order by color code? Only thing I have ever seen is orange for a high leg. And grounding conductor, and grounded conductor id. Just got a spanking for B-O-Y on 480. I know some use purple, he says orange is a code violation. I know AHJ has the right. Not questioning that. Purple - L1. Brown - L2. Yellow - L3. Maybe, I just need to study up, but I have never seen this. I'm used to good ole "BOY"

There are very few requirements of how you actually need to identify ungrounded wires.

GroundED and groundING wiring, by contrast, has very clear requirements throughout the NEC. GroundED = white or gray, groundING = green.

The only examples I can think of for ungrounded wires are:
1. High leg of a 120/240 delta system = ORANGE
2. New 2014 NEC: Ungrounded DC+ = RED or text reading "positive"
3. New 2014 NEC: Ungrounded DC- = BLACK or text reading "positive"

I'm not surprised that it is red and black. Personally, I'd pick red and yellow, and let black remain a generic ungrounded conductor (until taped otherwise).

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
From what I've heard, a purple B-phase is supposed to indicate it is a WYE system, in contrast to an orange B-phase indicating it is a DELTA system.

Never seen that in practice though. I've seen all 277/480 systems colored BOY.
BOY, OYB, YBO, BYO, OBY, YOB and where I have seen purple used it was always on a 480/277 distribution system.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Never seen purple around here. I have always added an extra color (other than green) to candy stripe the high leg. Anything you can do to make the high leg stand out is ok in my book. So for me that would be black, orange/red, blue for low voltage with a basterd leg.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.