Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Does any manufacturer make them? Did a google search and nothing
AFCI breakers have some GFI protection built in but it is not GFCI protection as the current levels are up to 30 ma instead of the 6ma trip for GFCI.

I don't think there is an AFCI/GFCI combination out there.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mshea said:
AFCI breakers have some GFI protection built in but it is not GFCI protection as the current levels are up to 30 ma instead of the 6ma trip for GFCI. I don't think there is an AFCI/GFCI combination out there.
Yes I was reading that.. I happened to run one lighting circuit for a small second floor addition that includes a bathroom and there is a light over shower and a exhaust fan in bathroom that inspector will probably want GFI protection so was hoping to kill two birds with one stone :) I will probably just run another home run for bath lighting circuit and tie together in panel and if he wants fan and light gfi protected will separate in panel

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
Yes I was reading that.. I happened to run one lighting circuit for a small second floor addition that includes a bathroom and there is a light over shower and a exhaust fan in bathroom that inspector will probably want GFI protection so was hoping to kill two birds with one stone :) I will probably just run another home run for bath lighting circuit and tie together in panel and if he wants fan and light gfi protected will separate in panel
or you could install a dead front gfci at the switch box

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
drspec said:
or you could install a dead front gfci at the switch box
I could but the first box is a single gang box so would have to use a combination gfi/switch. Do they make a dead front combo switch device? I guess I could make it a 2 gang but that looks like crap

·
Rest In Peace
6,298 Posts
I could but the first box is a single gang box so would have to use a combination gfi/switch. Do they make a dead front combo switch device? I guess I could make it a 2 gang but that looks like crap
Cut it in below the switch box?

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
Or cut in a box for the dead front elsewhere

We as electricians are the only ones to notice

How many houses have you see that is prewired for speakers and volume controls or security and have blank covers everywhere?

·
Registered
414 Posts
SQD QO does but you have to have a friend who is a distributor to be able to get your hands on that sample. You did not hear that from me, shhh :)

·
Yeah Toast!!
1,270 Posts
Another option is put the bath light & fan on the bathroom circuit.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Roger123 said:
Another option is put the bath light & fan on the bathroom circuit.
Yea that is no longer a option because I already wired switches and lights in 14. I may be able to hide a dead face behind toilet where it can not be seen easily but was just hoping they made a combo AFCI/GFCI breaker which would of been the perfect solution

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
drspec said:
Or cut in a box for the dead front elsewhere We as electricians are the only ones to notice How many houses have you see that is prewired for speakers and volume controls or security and have blank covers everywhere?
This guy is a contractor so would probably notice and ask why there is a extra space that does nothing :)

·
Yeah Toast!!
1,270 Posts
Yea that is no longer a option because I already wired switches and lights in 14. I may be able to hide a dead face behind toilet where it can not be seen easily but was just hoping they made a combo AFCI/GFCI breaker which would of been the perfect solution
OK, then put a GFCI receptacle just outside your panel and run your lighting circuit through it. Make that a dead front recpt.

·
Professional Nit Picker
2,339 Posts
The manufactures are developing a Dual rated AFCI/GFCI circuit breaker.

Supposed to be out soon as the 2014 code added kitchens and laundry rooms to the AFCI list, along with requiring all receptacles in laundry areas to be GFCI

·
Registered
414 Posts
They have one now as I previously mentioned. Just not available to the public. You have to be friends with someone who works for SQD to have access to there not available to the public "sample stash"

·
corn-fused
4,769 Posts
The manufactures are developing a Dual rated AFCI/GFCI circuit breaker.

Supposed to be out soon as the 2014 code added kitchens and laundry rooms to the AFCI list, along with requiring all receptacles in laundry areas to be GFCI
yeah, just like they have afci outlets readily available:whistling2:

·
Registered
196 Posts
123electric said:
SQD QO does but you have to have a friend who is a distributor to be able to get your hands on that sample. You did not hear that from me, shhh :)
Does your friend know when I'll be able to get QO gfi breakers for the new panels with the "plug on neutral"?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts