Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Certified Organic A-Hole
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen several threads in the past about poor Comcast installs such as wire run along walls and such. I asked my friend, who works for Comcast, if he does those ****ty installs. He informed me that Comcast forbids them from fishing walls hence the **** installs.

I don't understand that policy other than it being due to them hiring idiots that would screw crap up in walls.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Insurance, Cost of Install, Length of Install. Customers don't want to pay for stuff to be fished, Comcast doesn't want to spend the money to fish it. Thus you end up with the quickest install method possible. Unfortunately for customers who would be willing to spend the money the option really isn't presented to them. Most of the installs Comcast serves are more than likley high turnover or customers who don't give a damn. Customers have no reason to stick with a company, so why would comcast provide free wall fishing when 6 months later the customer can up and leave to another provider?

·
Registered
17 Posts
When I had cable installed at home, I had already cut in the LV ring and dropped a pullstring down to the basement. They refused to use it and refused to run the coax up the stairs to the living room. They finally gave in when I schlepped the TV to the basement and set it up there. Once they were done I pulled my own coax and moved their ground clamp off the PVC pipe they put it on (really...).

/mike

·
Registered
257 Posts
My question is this... And yes I'm playing devils advocate.

All electricians should know how to retrofit wire into walls so why aren't you all fishing it all yourselves the way you want it done, run back to a distribution and then have the installer just run from demarc to split?

·
Certified Organic A-Hole
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My question is this... And yes I'm playing devils advocate.

All electricians should know how to retrofit wire into walls so why aren't you all fishing it all yourselves the way you want it done, run back to a distribution and then have the installer just run from demarc to split?
Most guys here do, when they comment on crap installs it is at a customers house.

·
IBEW L.U. 1852
5,261 Posts

Thats how most of us have done it. I don't have cable per se......everything in my house is run on Cat6 with fibre for my main feed from the street..........but its all terminated in the main rack in the basement.:thumbsup:

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
I

I don't understand that policy other than it being due to them hiring idiots that would screw crap up in walls.
They hire idiots, that's their policy

The majority of them could'nt be a zit on a datacom guys azz

They work the installers on a per install FR here

We call them commie cast:jester:

~CS~

·
Registered
257 Posts
Rollie73 said:
Thats how most of us have done it. I don't have cable per se......everything in my house is run on Cat6 with fibre for my main feed from the street..........but its all terminated in the main rack in the basement.:thumbsup:
I'm curious what service you have that runs Cat6 for television signal. I know it can be done with uverse but we have TWC and they still require RG6 here.

·
Registered
6,189 Posts
Pretty soon I think we'll see the cable companies fall under the purview of public utility commissions. Kinda weird that they aren't considered one since they aren't really different from a telco company anyway.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I feel bad for Americans, you guys already pay some hefty cable bills. I cannot believe they would let this happen. I remember when Bell was blown up due to the monopoly they had, and this looks eerily the same. Antitrust anyone?

·
IBEW L.U. 1852
5,261 Posts
I'm curious what service you have that runs Cat6 for television signal. I know it can be done with uverse but we have TWC and they still require RG6 here.
The only fibre provider in my area is called Bell Aliant FibreOP and they need a minimum of Cat5e to run the TV and recommend Cat6.

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
I feel bad for Americans, you guys already pay some hefty cable bills. I cannot believe they would let this happen. I remember when Bell was blown up due to the monopoly they had, and this looks eerily the same. Antitrust anyone?

egggzzzactly

~CS~

1 - 20 of 25 Posts