Electrician Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Probably should have asked beforehand, but has anyone installed these retro led kits for cans? I remodeled my kitchen a few years ago, and installed some mini can lights of this brand in my soffit. Being my own house, I actually, glanced at the instructions. They seemed a bit generic. Cfl cans that required 90 degree c. Wire. Seemed crazy since I bought them from a home improvement store. I wired the in Romex anyways. :laughing: anyways, the price for can retro were the right price. And are UL listed. Got eight of them for just a touch over $100 including tax. Just asking.

·
Super Moderator
21,911 Posts
I have not used them but nm cable is rated 90C . You just cannot use the 90C ampacity for sizing breakers etc.

·
Super Moderator
21,911 Posts
Since you could not put it on the breaker in that column, I just always assumed.
And you know what happens when we assume :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And you know what happens when we assume :thumbsup:
I do. Not much of a residential guy. Did it for two years. Learned a lot, but was expected to run in tennis shoes, not work boots. Lost piles of tools in the hurry to get to the next job. No time to breathe. I thought the 90 degree table was just allowed for residential derating as for many other exceptions.

·
evil bastard
15,771 Posts
Look at some other fixtures. Mostly all new fixtures call for 90 degree wire. So actually of you're changing fixtures in a pre 80's house, you're probably creating a violation.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Look at some other fixtures. Mostly all new fixtures call for 90 degree wire. So actually of you're changing fixtures in a pre 80's house, you're probably creating a violation.
I was actually just asking for my own house. Since I do little residential. It is completely rewired in nm though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts