Electrician Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a job tomorrow where the fire marshal is requiring a hood and ansul system for a commercial electric range. First time for a situation like this. Does this range need to shut down upon ansul operation? It's fed by a 3 ph 60 amp line. I will need to install a contactor if so.

·
Electrical Simpleton
3,350 Posts
I have a job tomorrow where the fire marshal is requiring a hood and ansul system for a commercial electric range. First time for a situation like this. Does this range need to shut down upon ansul operation? It's fed by a 3 ph 60 amp line. I will need to install a contactor if so.
At least here any power under the hood is required to be disconnected (as well as any gas) when the supression system activates.

There is also a requirement in the IMC that there be a temperature sensor in the hood that will automatically turn on the exhaust fan at a set temperature.

Pete

·
animal lover /rat bastard
13,547 Posts
I'd check with the FM for the requirements. If I remember rightly, most places around here require all the cooking equipment under the hood to be shunted off, and a gas valve to turn off if there is gas. Some allow the light to stay on. Some require the hood exhaust and makeup to turn on automatically to vent the smoke, others don't want that. the microswitch is supposed to initiate all of that, as well as put the FA into alarm.

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Most likely you will need to shunt all power thru the ansul system.
Im stuck with a contactor , the range is fed from a hi leg 3 ph bolt on panel loaded to the gills. I can make this happen with a contactor only.

·
Registered
13,306 Posts
Shockdoc said:
Here it's the same, all heaters must be controlled.

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here it's the same, all heaters must be controlled.
I ordered a shunt breaker, the exhaust had a stupid relay control box. Couldn't get it to work. Motor was 10 amps 120 volts. I installed a closet type relay rated at 12 amps and wired on/off switch and heat sensor in parallel from t t on relay. Can the fm fail what I did?
Fan functions manually with the heat sensor override.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts