Electrician Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive always wanted to do residential. Its what I pictured myself doing when I signed up for electrical school. I'm now in a union and do commercial. Very cool job and the benes are great. No chance of ever getting laid off. I would still love to do residential. Worth it?

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Ive worked for two seperate employers who both started a residential based business after leaving the union. If the moneys good in the union and youre working alot thats good, but you probably wont make the money youre making unless you start a business.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Commercial and Residential are 2 different worlds. Commercial is slower paced then residential. Residential you hit the ground running. The faster you get the house wired the better. Some Resi contractors want to know how much romex you can pull in a day. PAY: Commercial the pay is better than residential..... I have always told my green helpers that it's better for them to work 2 years residential then do 2 years commercial. Then go test for your Journeyman license.....

·
Registered
39 Posts
Cont...
It's best if you have the knowledge of both worlds.... and if you feeling frisky to jump in and do Service work. You will learn alot doing service work, but you better have good troubleshooting skills.

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
I went from commercial to resi...got burnt out, went back to commercial...and then left it and came back to resi. :jester:

Residential is a completely different animal than commercial, and IMO has more codes that govern it. The best way to learn it is by working next to a couple of guys that rope houses every day, BUT, you can pick it up on your own by being observant and asking lots of questions. Still, you'll never truly know how to put it in 5th gear until you work with somebody who does. And this is where resi really counts - speed, efficiency, and getting it right the first time.

I enjoy a good mixture of both brands of work, it keeps things fresh. Working on big pipe & wire jobs can really drag on forever and get boring. Wiring houses all day every day, can too. If you can do both, you're two steps ahead of most guys in the trade and it can be very profitable.

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
Only is its new residential. Service work takes a particular kind of persona.
a gc I deal with is tired of residential, we just submitted bids for scottrade, they are opening a dozen locations here on the island.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Shockdoc said:
a gc I deal with is tired of residential, we just submitted bids for scottrade, they are opening a dozen locations here on the island.
i did one in flushing, nothing crazy. Decent money, fast turnaround.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts