Electrician Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently do power quality and thermal imaging in commercial and light industrial settings and residential wiring and troubleshooting. I'm debating on taking a commercial ground up project but am a little nervous on the tools (equipment) I don't have. Any suggestions on essential equipment??? Rent vs purchase? Thanks for the advice

·
Registered
566 Posts

·
Registered
2,219 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don't need that.... my diagnosing, logging and analyzing equipment is all fluke so I don't need that one. I would like to know info like , "get a pipe bender b/c in the end it's easier than buying expensive 90's" etc. Do I need a laser, lift or anything to that extent that will make my life easier.

Thanks again

·
Registered
984 Posts
Depends on the size of the job. In any case I don't think you need to buy any heavy equipment or lifts. The GC provides a lot of that, and if you need something on a daily basis you just rent by the month.

You can also rent the pipe bender or buy used. If you don't have a lot of big pipe to run, there's nothing wrong with factory fittings.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks . The job is a18000square foot water treatment facility. What do u think about cutting pipe sawzall? I never hardly use thhn so would 1000 ft reels from the if box stores suffice or am I shooting myself in the foot?

·
Registered
984 Posts
Thanks . The job is a18000square foot water treatment facility. What do u think about cutting pipe sawzall? I never hardly use thhn so would 1000 ft reels from the if box stores suffice or am I shooting myself in the foot?
Bandsaw to cut pipe. As far as thhn goes, I couldn't tell you because it depends on how much wire you need to pull, how many guys are pulling wire at one time, are you going to have a need for large amounts of wire in the future (leftovers), do you want to buy reel holders for 2000' reels? Most of our new construction jobs use 2000' reels, with several wire carts on site. Another option is simpull in the barrel, which we use also.

None from the box store! You'd probably have to visit a few to get everything!

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
Pipe benders, threaders and lift?. Cutting the pipe is the last of your worries. what kind of conduit do the specs call for?

·
Registered
310 Posts
We use the Milwaukee m18 bandsaw and it's the bees knees for cutting pipe, strut, all thread, cable etc... One battery lasts about all day and it's light enough to haul up a ladder if needed. I would also say get some rack a tiers racks. Makes pulls tons easier and makes a good seat during lunch time.

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
Bobcat, forkift, pulley and my van, maybe a nice poco crew. It is amazing what can be done if you don't own a tugger.
Yeah. We don't own one but own a hydraulic emt bender. We know another ec with a tugger and no big emt bender, so we just have an agreement to swap when needed. Saves us both a few thousand that way. Sometimes tuggers are life savers on long feeder pulls. Though you are right, it is pretty amazing what you can pull by hand. Lube it like you're going in deep and pretend it's your Peter and give her a pull.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.