Electrician Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So many little issues that are popping up, that honestly as an industrial electrician I haven't given much though of until now. My home will have a firewall 5/8 drywall between the garage and living area. The master bedroom is cantilevered over half of the garage. I was going to surface mount my subpanel on the firewall between and drill through the wall for the feed and also drill holes through it for nmd branch ccts. I am thinking these holes will be in violation, however I doubt the inspector will say anything. What I would like to know is Does anyone mount metal device boxes in the wall or octagons in a firerated ceiling? Or do you surface mount? I have central vac pipes etc that should also go through the wall. If this can not be done this way to code I can mount all of my equipment on an exterior wall however this means many more bends and lengths of conduits for the vacumm and vertical lift etc. Please advise.

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
35,177 Posts
There are square inch restrictions in the IRC about fire rated walls. Panels usually exceed those restrictions unless you box them in and keep the rating. Best way to check is to ask the local inspectors and let them give you the rules before you start. and some got their ''own'' rules also....

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
So many little issues that are popping up, that honestly as an industrial electrician I haven't given much though of until now. My home will have a firewall 5/8 drywall between the garage and living area. The master bedroom is cantilevered over half of the garage. I was going to surface mount my subpanel on the firewall between and drill through the wall for the feed and also drill holes through it for nmd branch ccts. I am thinking these holes will be in violation, however I doubt the inspector will say anything. What I would like to know is Does anyone mount metal device boxes in the wall or octagons in a firerated ceiling? Or do you surface mount? I have central vac pipes etc that should also go through the wall. If this can not be done this way to code I can mount all of my equipment on an exterior wall however this means many more bends and lengths of conduits for the vacumm and vertical lift etc. Please advise.
It all depends on the client in this case there is no code against cannot do that.

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok here is the update. Now this applies to Saskatchewan not sure about other provinces. The building code has changed.The common wall between garage and living space is no longer considered a fire wall. However you do need the vapor barrier between the areas.You can run boxes, panels etc in and through the wall,however it is "recommended" that you treat it as a firewall like in the past with 5/8" drywall. So there you have it, we can do what we want. This is straight from the inspector, also contacted my material supplier (before I phoned the inspector) and they also confirmed that this is the case.

·
Sideways Sparky
1,512 Posts
No one seems to care really, it is never done properly. Being it is your own home, treat it like a fire rated wall.

Kidde also makes a heat detector that interconnects to your smokes. I have one in my garage. Regular smoke detectors nuisance alarm in garages too much.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.