Electrician Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, everyone. I'm interested in pursuing a career as an Electrician. I'm not sure if this is in the right section, but I suppose you could also take this as my introduction. I'm a 19 year old student at a Community College that offers a diploma for Electrical Engineering Technology. I've decided to enter into Community College with the intention of earning this six semester (two year) diploma.

After I earn this two year diploma, I intend to transfer to a University in Nashville Tennessee that offers an Electrical Engineering degree through a very successful program which claims to boast a nearly 97% post-graduate employment rate.

I intend to start my own business, so someday I will further my education to an Engineering Management degree. I will let you all know, that I do not have a necessarily "clean" slate in terms of my legal record. I've got one conviction that is neither drug nor violence related. I am being promised inheritance money to start up my business, supposedly after I become a licensed master electrician.

Now I suppose for the questions:
1. With this diploma and/or degree, will it be much easier for me to obtain an apprenticeship in Nashville, TN?
2. Is it worth getting a diploma and/or degree in the long run?

Now, the reason I've chosen to get a diploma and/or degree, is because I do intend to start my own business, and also I've found it almost impossible to find an apprenticeship program that will hire me with almost no electrical experience. Are there companies out there that will hire a 19 year old as an apprentice with almost no prior work history?

I intend to make this my livelihood. I've always found an interest in Electricity, technology, and hands-on work. I guess I'm just second-guessing myself because so many people enter into apprenticeships without education, and I am questioning whether or not it will be worth it to educate myself.

Thanks all, and nice meeting you!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
http://www.dcc.vccs.edu/Departments/B&EIT/Electronics/Electonics2.htm

This is the program I will be taking in Community College. Will I find this relevant in becoming an apprentice and then Journeyman Electrical Engineer and will it help me?

Should I even consider going to Uni afterwards or will this be enough to obtain a steady job which gives me on-the-job training?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.