Electrician Talk banner

161 - 178 of 178 Posts

·
Administrator
Community Manager
3,292 Posts
You didn't answer about requiring an occupation to be filled out.
We do not require it to join the site but we do request it.

- Cricket

·
Premium Member
18,550 Posts
How To Find Subscribed Threads

Click on your avatar near the upper right-hand corner of the site and select “following” from the drop-down menu.

This will bring you to a page where you can choose to view followed discussions, forums, your discussions, and participated discussions.

I would like to view the newest topics, how do I go about that? The “new” bubble doesn’t seem to take me to what I expect.

·
Administrator
Community Manager
3,292 Posts
I would like to view the newest topics, how do I go about that? The “new” bubble doesn’t seem to take me to what I expect.
What are you expecting, so that I can help.

NEW takes you to the newest unread posts. The Popular tab on that page takes you to active topics.

- Cricket

·
Premium Member
Pres., GPS Timers
6,166 Posts
As to the new platform, I like it.
I also like the opportunities to visit other forums owned by y'all.
I see Tech forums and I see 1 or 2 others. Why not more in the list?

I haven't been to DIY in ages because it compels another login credential and I'm too lazy dig around to figure out what it was (is). On the Tech forum I was going to Reply but it wants me to sign up.

Why not let our credentials run across all your forums?

·
Administrator
Community Manager
3,292 Posts
As to the new platform, I like it.
I also like the opportunities to visit other forums owned by y'all.
I see Tech forums and I see 1 or 2 others. Why not more in the list?

I haven't been to DIY in ages because it compels another login credential and I'm too lazy dig around to figure out what it was (is). On the Tech forum I was going to Reply but it wants me to sign up.

Why not let our credentials run across all your forums?
I would love to see something like that someday.

- Cricket

·
Registered
Scada Supervisor
2,270 Posts
I also like the mention feature where you start the name and it gives you a list

Reactions: Cricket

·
Registered
447 Posts
How do you view a member's started threads and posts? Also, is it still possible to view a banned member's profile?

·
Administrator
Community Manager
3,292 Posts
How do you view a member's started threads and posts?

You can use advanced search or you can go to their profile.

Also, is it still possible to view a banned member's profile?

It dpends on the method we have used to ban the member. If it is a spammer account, no you cannot see those posts.

- Cricket

·
Premium Member
Pres., GPS Timers
6,166 Posts
Is there a way to search a thread?
I thought for sure on this thread were instructions on how to make an avatar.
I couldn't find that post so I just made an avatar and hoped it fit.
It fit.
Looks pretty spiffy in Dark Mode.

·
Administrator
Community Manager
3,292 Posts
Is there a way to search a thread?
How To Search The Site

Near the top of the community, you will see a search bar.

Enter a search term or phrase and click enter on your keyboard or click the magnifying glass.

Advanced Search

To narrow down search results, click on “Advanced Search” after clicking the search bar.

This will allow you to choose to search titles only, add the member username who posted it or even select a specific forum to search from.

Enter your search criteria and click “Search “ at the bottom.

You can also access advanced search by clicking the 3 vertical dots near the upper right-hand corner of the site and selecting “Advanced “Search”

Search Specific Forum

If you want to search a specific section, navigate to the forum section before entering your search term in the search bar and then select the option.

Search Specific Discussion Thread

If you want to search a specific discussion thread, navigate to it before entering your search term in the search bar and then select the option.

·
Registered
Electrician
934 Posts
Is there anyway to make it more clear this site is not for DIY. It seems like we are getting a crazy amount of DIY questions lately. Maybe BIG FLASHING RED text. A warning of impending doom or something, lol. Every single person asking a DIY questing seems to have no idea this is for professionals only. Thanks.

·
Administrator
Community Manager
3,292 Posts
Is there anyway to make it more clear this site is not for DIY. It seems like we are getting a crazy amount of DIY questions lately. Maybe BIG FLASHING RED text. A warning of impending doom or something, lol. Every single person asking a DIY questing seems to have no idea this is for professionals only. Thanks.
  • It is in the sidebar description.
  • It is a post in the Getting Started Forum section
  • It is referred to in a sticky at the top of introductions.
Simply report the posts when you see them and move on. :)

- Cricket

·
Registered
Scada Supervisor
2,270 Posts
Lots of new members and old ones with nothing in their about section, it is ten times worse now for some reason.
This makes it harder to answer them because we don't know what they do or what field they are in. I think they should not be able to start a discussion without this information, I don't care if they post but not start.

Reactions: micromind

·
Super Moderator
Retired Master Electrician
16,417 Posts
Cowboy. Good post and I agree with you. We all need to know how to do this in this new format. So along with the forum instruction link, I made one and use it for new members. I have not had any regular members ask for help. And most all have no profile. So here are my instructions. Since I had to learn myself, I decide to type it up and save it.

Welcome to Electrician Talk. A profile is required for all new members. Electrician Talk is a professional’s only forum.
Please take a few minutes to fill your profile out.
Should you have any questions, contact any moderator or administrator?

Steps to Complete Profile
Click on your avatar in the upper right hand corner of the page. (any page on the forum) and select “Account Settings”.
This will bring you to your “Account details” page.
Select “Account Details” if it not already selected.
Here you will fill out your ‘location’ and your ‘electrical trade’.
The ‘about you’ field is optional, but the place to add any specialties or any other trade interests.

Thanks John Valdes

Required Profile
ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Required Profile Fields

·
Super Moderator
22,033 Posts
When the change happened the profile info got lost

Reactions: John Valdes

·
Premium Member
Pres., GPS Timers
6,166 Posts
I just finished mine because Dennis bumped the now updated 2018 post about mandatory profile fields. The things we need to find on this new system are hard to find when that's what you're looking for but the tutorials the mods put out hit the nail on the head every time, so at least there's an answer for everything, and for that I give two thumbs up to this new platform.

161 - 178 of 178 Posts