Electrician Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a superintendant for a very large Solar company, I also hold my C-10 license and have my own small business on the side. I have recently been approached about becoming the new license holder or RME for the solar company I work for. They already pay me a competitive salary for my current position but have offered me very little additional compensation to become their new license holder. Although I am planning to turn down their current offer I would like to counter back with an offer.
Does anyone know what this would be worth? or what type of compensation I should ask for? They have been good to me and I don't wont to seem greedy, Although I know I will now be responsible for all work done.

·
Banned
39,205 Posts
That monopolizes your license, correct? Meaning you can't use it for yourself anymore, right?

If so, I would want them to pay me, at the very least, what I would be making from using my license myself.

You are loosing a huge opportunity by giving them your license and they should pay for it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I think in California you can have 5 licenses, but the CSLB could say for sure, so you should be able to keep your individual license. They do require you to work at least 32 hours per week as an RME, do you ever get slow? What happens if you get a large project on the side and want to take time to do it?

Why did they lose their last RME?
Why can't one of the owners qualify?
Will they give you an ownership percentage?

I would ask for them to pay for a lawyer of your choice to consult with. There are too many questions that only a good lawyer that focuses on contractor law would know. The lawyer should also help you come up with a number that would make it worthwhile.

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
32,854 Posts
$150 grand a yr minimum, new company vehicle, keys to the executive washroom, no field work, a secretary, and you get to bring in your choice of accountant to review the books every six months at their expense.

That is your mactip of the day.

·
corn-fused
4,769 Posts
i go with post 3, but try to avoid the the lawyers!:thumbsup:

·
animal lover /rat bastard
13,547 Posts
"very large solar company" could mean a lot of different things to a lot of people.

if you are are license holder, they need to pay your salary for the 20 or 30 hrs a week you need to review the ongoing work in the company, and/or site visits you feel necessary, and/or NEC issues you feel you need to check out, and pay you a percentage of the profits. more than likely it would be better for them to advance you to general supt or PM and give you a better salary and a cut of the profits.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@macmikeman, I like the way you think. The company could no problem afford that salary however I believe before they did that ,they would just pass the offer to someone they could get cheaper, I already hold a high enough position that I get most of the other benefits you stated. However they are only offering a 10% increase in my salary to become the license holder. @Dylanewilliams They are trying to get rid of their current license holder , I'm not sure why.. my hunch is he's costing them to much.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts