Electrician Talk banner
61 - 74 of 74 Posts
most homeowners don't spend a lotta time in the basement , many have to think about it when asked where their panel is....

i use those small repair jobs to get my foot in the 'estimate door' forlarger work, while others flat rate themselves outta the pix

there's always something that could be updated , easily validated in the state of VT's colonial home arena ....

all one needs do is bring them to the basment , and point it all out

~CS~
There grown kids spend a lot of time in the basement..:laughing:

I dont have a problem with pricing your work to make a profit or making suggestions for repairs or improvements. That is good business. However saying that someone NEEDS unnecessary work is dishonest. Making suggestions for real issues even if expensive is not. Saying they Have to do the work is.
Sometines its a judgement call. We generally wont add circiuts to zinsco or fpe panels, but lots of people have no problem with it. We will usually suggest replacement. However it is dishonest to tell every customer that they need to replace their panel if it is in good condition.
I'd rather have a reputation as being expensive but good and honest than expensive and dishonest or cheap but you get what you pay for. If you are good, you dont have to be cheap. Expensive and dishonest are not the same. Sometimes the low price is ultimately the most expensive. We ALL know that. Expensive and bad or unnecessary work is dishonest.

conversley, we get painted in a bad light if we don't inform the customer of major no-no's as well Yrman

~CS~

posters that come here with iron clad doctrines, and get po'ed when confronted on it deserve that ascii door to slap them in the a*s, goes double in a thread marked 'competition'

~CS~

Recommended a "panell rejuvenation" / $1267 ( i am not clear on the details of what this would include. (house is 10 years old with a 200 amp Homeline

Well, they did not get that job.
I want to know WTF is a panel rejuvenation? Are they electricians or do they work at a fing spa?
Do they give outlets and switches mani-pettys too?

Not sure what a rejuv consists of, but I do reconditions alot. Cleaning up all connections, bussings, new breakers, labeling etc. Works out nice.

Wow, that would prove a hard sell out here on the island, most wait for it to stop working before they call anyone, doesn't matter what it looks like, how many open violations it exist. All the residential customer knows is, it works, why fix it?

Usually an easy sale after a burnt neutral in the panel, burnt contact on breaker, messy panel, and even after diagnosing a bad breaker. I use to make most of my income via tune-ups like this, and circuit tune-ups in 02'-06'. Now I get them less, but still get them.

Favorites are old murray, arrowhart etc, type panels. Easy money.

Usually an easy sale after a burnt neutral in the panel, burnt contact on breaker, messy panel, and even after diagnosing a bad breaker. I use to make most of my income via tune-ups like this, and circuit tune-ups in 02'-06'. Now I get them less, but still get them.

Favorites are old murray, arrowhart etc, type panels. Easy money.
There are tons of Murray and AH panels out here, it's a shame HOs don't care for the vitals of their homes as they do for their cars.

Reactions: electrictim510
After changing out so many panels due to burnt bussings I just said "what the heck, just start selling prevention" :thumbsup:

Especially good on the coast where there are lots of oxidation build up on connections/bussings. Just start offering it every call. You won't land them all, probably not even 1/4, but you will sell one here and there and it will add up. :thumbup:

61 - 74 of 74 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.