Electrician Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I install horizontal parallel feed, service drop on the roof of an commercial shopping center
I think I have to install concrete envelope around the pipes that are located in the middle of roof
The rest, that are on the edge of roof which is not really inside the roof area
I do not need concrete around , I think

What do you recommend???
Where in the code talking about this??

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Concrete encased on the roof??? Never seen it, probably never will. Who is requiring you to do this?
My Electr inspector at the rough inspection
He told me to encase the part of drop that is laid on roof surface

·
animal lover /rat bastard
13,547 Posts
Hi
I install horizontal parallel feed, service drop on the roof of an commercial shopping center
I think I have to install concrete envelope around the pipes that are located in the middle of roof

What do you recommend???

ask inspector for a code reference. does this service feed a fire pump ?

Reactions: theJcK

·
Registered
70 Posts
The only feeders I'm aware of that need to be concrete incased are for fire pumps. It's to meet a 2 hr fire rating and needs to be 2" thick around the conduit. If you look up fire pumps in the code book it'll explain more. I may be wrong, but I've never heard of any other application where it is required to incase your feeders in conduit. Some inspectors shouldn't be inspectors, some know a little and act like they know a lot.

·
Homer to Jebus
Electron Flow Consultant
828 Posts
wat.

Ibtl.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The only feeders I'm aware of that need to be concrete incased are for fire pumps. It's to meet a 2 hr fire rating and needs to be 2" thick around the conduit. If you look up fire pumps in the code book it'll explain more. I may be wrong, but I've never heard of any other application where it is required to incase your feeders in conduit. Some inspectors shouldn't be inspectors, some know a little and act like they know a lot.
Ok
I will request inspection again
And I will demand more explanation
Code references
But in a nice way

Thank you

·
Premium Member
19,540 Posts
Hi

What do you recommend???
Outside of the building, unlimited length.

·
Registered
141 Posts
You also need them if "unprotected" conductors are routed in a building more then the allowed 5' (I think that'e right) through a building. I had to encase a feeder on a three story marina i designed a few years ago where the ground floor was only used to raise the structure above the flood zone and all the switchgear was on the 2nd floor.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You also need them if "unprotected" conductors are routed in a building more then the allowed 5' (I think that'e right) through a building. I had to encase a feeder on a three story marina i designed a few years ago where the ground floor was only used to raise the structure above the flood zone and all the switchgear was on the 2nd floor.
Yes
I agree
That's what I though
Unprotected utility line after fire-disaster can fall inside the building

1 - 13 of 13 Posts