Electrician Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Electrician
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always see these in catalogs but have never seen one in person. Do any of you use them? If so what do you mount on them or what do you use them for. I have only seen blank covers for them and cathodic test station covers. For those not familiar with them they are a conduit body with only one conduit entry. I guess you could make "a" splice, but not many as volume would limit you per NEC requirements.

·
Hackenschmidt
11,172 Posts
It looks like there's an extension ring that turns it into a box ...

Type E

and there are devices made to mount on the condulet, not nearly as nice as the one @ppsh posted.

·
Premium Member
18,836 Posts

·
Bilge Rat
motors and controls.........
7,508 Posts
I installed 2 of these at a rock crushing plane quite a few years ago. They had 1 green grounding conductor inside that I used for a reference when I did the ground continuity checks each year.

Much easier than running several hundred feet of wire across the ground........

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
It looks like a good "blunt object" kind of thing. You know, to help an apprentice out.

Tim

Reactions: splatz

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I have never had the need to use a type E conduit body with only one opening but it would come in handy if you had a real tight area where a box was too big and you needed a receptacle. It would be more durable than a bell box and cost less than an FS box. They are probably quite durable but they should be designed with mounting flanges to be more practical and not just supported by one conduit entry. hmmmmm ?

·
Registered
Scada Supervisor
2,722 Posts
Saw them used as splice box, conduit comes into a tee other end had flex cord going out to motor. E was third opening in Tee, both wires went into E and splice was made in there.

·
Tool Fetish
728 Posts
I installed 2 of these at a rock crushing plane quite a few years ago. They had 1 green grounding conductor inside that I used for a reference when I did the ground continuity checks each year.

Much easier than running several hundred feet of wire across the ground........
We have 800' and 1000' test leads for equipment ground continuity testing and record keeping.

·
Registered
Scada Supervisor
2,722 Posts
I have also seen them at end of run for future use. Remove and replace with LB or Tee

Reactions: Wlaricci
1 - 17 of 17 Posts