Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 3/4" stubs coming out of a finished wall. I would like to reduce it to 1/2" on some shorter sections. Right now we only have combo boxes to achieve this, which should be supported. I'm sure (really hope) they make a coupling that would reduce 3/4 to half inch. I thought I seen them on a job. They have to be made in the u.s. And have to be compression. No luck on Google. Is their a trade name or something I'm missing? ... Reducing bushings comes to mind.... ?? Not sure. Anyone know the proper name?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Can't believe they don't make a reducing (compression) coupling for emt. I'm sure I have seen them for plumbing applications. We just have a bunch of 1/2 inch left on a job and the 3/4 stubs are only 6" 90's then a foot to the box down the wall. The combo box's I'm coming out of (2'away) are packed and so is the ceiling so 1/2" would make life easier. Not sure I could even access the cover on c's ounce installed.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, it is hackary at it's finest.

I have come across this on existing systems and buy the time I figured out that the *(&*(^*&^(* had reduced a conduit, the names I was calling the original "electrician" would get me kicked out of a truck stop.
Hackary at its finest would be jamming the damn 1/2" right into the 3/4" 90. :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash: which I wouldn't rule out at this point LOL

·
Registered
7,503 Posts
Hackary at its finest would be jamming the damn 1/2" right into the 3/4" 90. :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash: which I wouldn't rule out at this point LOL
You have a point. The time I am talking about, I found a plumbing fitting (Schneider diamond price tag still attached) concealed in a wall exactly where my fish-tape told me there would be a buried junction box.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ive seen them but rarely, whats the point of reducing the pipe size in the run?:001_huh:
Theirs a bunch of similar situations down a hallway. The combo box k.o's that are left have to be stepped out to 3/4, (extensions are not an option) some of the 3/4 stubs are really close to the box's they need to go into but need a small offset and I just feel like bitching I guess ;) but the good news is I get paid by the hour. Thanks for the input fellas.

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
We did a job with a ton of underground on it, and some guys were spinning RE62's into the female threads at the floor then piping out from there to a C, or LB, or whatever... Not a union to be seen... The only fix I cam up with invloved a hacksaw, some unions and several beer after work... :censored::censored:

Hack at it's finiest to reduce in the middle of a run... IMO...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.