Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im at a jobsite and someone had the concrete guys run the conduit for floor boxes before the electrical contractor was even pick. They ran 4" pvc and had 90s and Tees above the floor.There is like 12 floor boxes and one stub up for a home run near a beam. Is this common practice?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Residential remodeling
117 Posts
4"? How could he possibly connect 4" to a floor box? Above the floor? Do you say the pipe is on top of the concrete? This stinks in every way.

·
Just trying to get home
Site Engineer
2,367 Posts
Schedule 40 or 80? You could run electrical and sewage together to complete the sh*t job!

·
Just trying to get home
Site Engineer
2,367 Posts

·
Registered
Scada Supervisor
2,722 Posts
Is that even electrical PVC it looks white?
Did they use sweeps or plumbing 90's?

Cowboy

Reactions: cuba_pete

·
Just trying to get home
Site Engineer
2,367 Posts
Is that even electrical PVC it looks white?
Did they use sweeps or plumbing 90's?

Cowboy
right? I think you know the answer to this by looking at the pic.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Plumbing 90s for sure. And the end of the 90 or T would be just above the concrete. Just a big 4inch hole

·
Premium Member
Working With the Tools
1,007 Posts
Im at a jobsite and someone had the concrete guys run the conduit for floor boxes before the electrical contractor was even pick. They ran 4" pvc and had 90s and Tees above the floor.There is like 12 floor boxes and one stub up for a home run near a beam. Is this common practice?

What a nightmare!

·
Registered
Scada Supervisor
2,722 Posts
Plumbing 90s for sure. And the end of the 90 or T would be just above the concrete. Just a big 4inch hole

Smurf tubing coming up, run inside of the sleeve they installed..

·
Registered
36th year apprentice & Floor Sweeper
1,281 Posts
Ask the Concrete contractor to give you the approved submittals on the floor boxes so you can order the right stuff to complete the installation. :)

Reactions: Easy

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
You could probably get a fish tape going into the first plumbing 90 and snag it at the other end with another fish tape. If there are any plumbing 90s mid stream you might really have a hard time with it.
It looks like there is no concrete poured yet so why not just rework the underground electrical the correct way. A floor box is not designed to mount to 4" drain pipe. OMG x 2

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Do they want phone and data in the floor boxes also?

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Maybe they can use the pipe for running beer lines to each desk. Then you can add conduit next to it for power and data. 👍

·
Registered
Scada Supervisor
2,722 Posts
You could probably get a fish tape going into the first plumbing 90 and snag it at the other end with another fish tape. If there are any plumbing 90s mid stream you might really have a hard time with it.
It looks like there is no concrete poured yet so why not just rework the underground electrical the correct way. A floor box is not designed to mount to 4" drain pipe. OMG x 2
Big Leaf blower to blow real fishing line with string thru ping pong ball.

Reactions: Easy

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sooo just went back and talked to the concrete guys. There was sweeping 90s. And apparently there was a union master electrician working concrete today with them and told them how he would lay it out.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts