Electrician Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to answer a question from a property in Morristown NJ who is having problems with buried line voltage electrical lines running between two of their buildings. It appeared to be installed in conduit (installation was done in 2011). However, when the maintenance staff tried to pull the line to replace faulty wiring, they found out it's direct burial. They are trying to find out if the original contractor who installed it was following the code. Is direct burial of line voltage wiring acceptable in NJ (more specifically, in Morristown, NJ).

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
hmuhoyt2 said:
I am trying to answer a question from a property in Morristown NJ who is having problems with buried line voltage electrical lines running between two of their buildings. It appeared to be installed in conduit (installation was done in 2011). However, when the maintenance staff tried to pull the line to replace faulty wiring, they found out it's direct burial. They are trying to find out if the original contractor who installed it was following the code. Is direct burial of line voltage wiring acceptable in NJ (more specifically, in Morristown, NJ).
when you say " buried lines running between their buildings " , does that mean one building is feeding another , or is it small branch circuit stuff ? If the cable is rated for it , it's perfectly legal if it's done correctly . It could very well be a utility thing ( pseg ) . They love burying cable at shallow depths , lol !

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Look at 300.5 and see what applies to you situation.

Reactions: Celtic

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
when you say " buried lines running between their buildings " , does that mean one building is feeding another , or is it small branch circuit stuff ? If the cable is rated for it , it's perfectly legal if it's done correctly . It could very well be a utility thing ( pseg ) . They love burying cable at shallow depths , lol !
Guys, thank you for all you help.

These wires were installed by a sub-contractor on a solar panel installation. They connect two inverters from a single solar system which are connected to a 220 volt three-phase service from JCP&L. These wires are required because the solar system is installed on two roofs.

I would love to blame the utility, but in this case, it's not their fault :)

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
hmuhoyt2 said:
Guys, thank you for all you help. These wires were installed by a sub-contractor on a solar panel installation. They connect two inverters from a single solar system which are connected to a 220 volt three-phase service from JCP&L. These wires are required because the solar system is installed on two roofs. I would love to blame the utility, but in this case, it's not their fault :)
hmmm ? So it sounds like the heavy gauge DC return path to the inverter are direct buried ? In most cases this can be well over 480 VDC depending on how many panels are in series . It's not something I would do , but if they used the right cable , still most likely legal . It had to have been inspected , right ?

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
... I would love to blame the utility, but in this case, it's not their fault :)
If they'd check, I bet the landscaper got them at one end, maybe even both. Any bed planting at either end needs to be checked.

There are instruments for water pipe and electrical locator devices.

·
Registered
988 Posts
mcclary's electrical said:
There's a very good chance the unprotected wires from panels to the inverter are required to be in conduit. Please post pics
There's a good chance that its the AC side wiring that is buried. If there's 2 buildings each with its own inverter then they have to be combined at a common point before being connected to the service. It's not really practical to run the DC conductors far distances.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts