Electrician Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all -
I work for an AV/acoustical consulting firm and part of my job on projects is developing drawings to show conduit and boxes required for the AV system (e.g. speaker and network cables, control touchpanels, gang / NEMA boxes for future audio panels, etc.). Typically we design for auditoriums, hotel lobbies, lecture halls, etc.

For the past 20 years or so, we've always calculated conduit sizes and quantities ourselves based on the cables that are needed for the AV system, and this has always worked fine for us. Recently though, we came across other consulting firms drawings and it seems to be 50/50 on whether to show conduit sizes on drawings, or just show the number and OD of cables required in each conduit, and let the EC size the conduits themselves to fit the cables.

We have no issue sizing conduit ourselves (working fine for 20 years), but I wanted to get opinions from people here to see if there's any pros/cons from the EC side that may not occur to us?

Thanks for any thoughts / opinions

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
35,178 Posts
I like it and it saves me time while bidding. You want 1-1/4'', you get 1-1/4''. Nothing hard about it, and I probably have bid some of your plans before.

·
Electrical Contractor
5,566 Posts
The more information on the drawings will reduce the fighting later on.
I agree with the others, keep indicating the sizes, since that works for you

·
Registered
10,634 Posts
And we wonder why public schools are killing the state....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yea... those future raceways really did us in, huh?

NYC public schools all have a central antenna system. They thought in the future televisions would be in every classroom, and PBS would broadcast all kinds of good educational stuff. That never quite panned out BUT the raceways were used to bring internet into classrooms and ended up being very time and cost saving.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.