Electrician Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't had to work off of the 2014 code book yet and haven' t gotten one. Has the exception to 358.30 about securing conduit at 5' intervals where necessary to structural members been changed. Just got flagged for about a hundred boxes not having conduit supported within 3'. When I tried to point this out, a I got told was they had to he supported within 3'. Permit was pulled last year so I should still be working off of the 2011 code. Just trying to figure out where he is getting this.

·
Electrical Simpleton
3,350 Posts
I haven't had to work off of the 2014 code book yet and haven' t gotten one. Has the exception to 358.30 about securing conduit at 5' intervals where necessary to structural members been changed. Just got flagged for about a hundred boxes not having conduit supported within 3'. When I tried to point this out, a I got told was they had to he supported within 3'. Permit was pulled last year so I should still be working off of the 2011 code. Just trying to figure out where he is getting this.
Show the inspector the exception (and it is still in the 2014). One caveat, you can only extend to 5 feet for unbroken lengths. No couplings or other breaks in conduit.

Pete

·
Registered
984 Posts
Most of the time the emt can be supported within 3 feet, but it's a pain sometimes. Your inspector may be like most of ours, and they figure where there's a will there's a way. I can't tell you about 2014 code, I haven't read it and don't have a copy, but I doubt they removed that exception.

Edit: I just noticed in the previous post, that is from the 2014 code.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
I worked on a couple of jobs where the specs required all conduit to be supported within 18 inches (454 mm) of each box. This required back to back 90s between each box that was installed on bar joist construction. This was odd looking and really slowed wire pulling.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.