Electrician Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Can anyone give me some insight on the nominal voltages in ConEd territory in the summer? Mainly Brooklyn/Queens

Looking to install a 120/240V 1Ø ATS & Gensets at a number of buildings/sites that have 120/208V 1Ø services.

The ATS can be adjusted to 75% of 240V, which is 180V.

How likely/often is it that the system will be running at 87% of nominal L-L?

·
Premium Member
20,983 Posts
I'd worry less about what the voltage might droop to in the summer, and study dataplates of the equipment to be served first. Set your ATS to the tolerances of the touchiest equipment it will serve. THe last thing you want is people's UPS's beeping all over the building, wondering why the fire alarm is in supervisory for voltage loss, wondering why the gen hasn't started or why the RTU shutdown by the phase monitor relay and the gen's not running.

·
animal lover /rat bastard
13,547 Posts
for at least 3 or 4 years, Con Ed has done voltage reductions in areas of Brooklyn and Queens in the summers by as much as 8%. you might want to contact them directly and find out what you can expect for voltage ranges.

here's one article from last summer
http://www.coned.com/newsroom/news/pr20130625.asp

·
Registered
489 Posts
In the stations I work in we have 2 different settings 2.5-5 percent but they rarely ever go into voltage reduction , but if they want too they have control over it via an RTU .

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
Con Ed runs strictly 120/208 , I have yet to see 240 volts . Major VD in the summertime, I have metered as low as 104 volts in a loop system.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I'd worry less about what the voltage might droop to in the summer, and study dataplates of the equipment to be served first. Set your ATS to the tolerances of the touchiest equipment it will serve. THe last thing you want is people's UPS's beeping all over the building, wondering why the fire alarm is in supervisory for voltage loss, wondering why the gen hasn't started or why the RTU shutdown by the phase monitor relay and the gen's not running.
Why I'm glad MD is back.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts