Electrician Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm kind of confused about what MV systems are banned and how the conversion process works.

I was under the impression that all new screw type MV bulbs and ballasts were banned and once a MV ballast died, it would have to be replaced by a MH ballast and in order to work with MV lamps, the wiring may have to be modified (I need clarification there too). If the Lamp died, it would have to be changed over to MH bulb and that will likely require a ballast change to MH also (again, I need clarification there).

The thing is, I still readily see R30 and R40 Mercury Vapor lamps sold. I think EYE is one of the manufacturers. These are the ones that are popular in residential landscape lights for lighting trees or moon lights and come in 50W, 100W, and 175w. I've also noticed that the 100Watt ballasts are also Mercury vapor ballasts (brand new) And they also sell MH ballasts that work with these lamps.

So what's the story? Are the R40 and R30 MV bulbs exempt from the ban? Also, is there a universal source to see the wiring diagrams for conversions from MH to MV or is it different from every manufacturer?

·
Banned
16,967 Posts
All MV ballasts are banned for manufacture, sale and importation but lamps are still available. So if a ballast dies, you will have to look on ebay or a surplus dealer for a MV replacement, or upgrade to an MH ballast and use a MV lamp (but you will be losing lumen output as a result.)

·
Registered
11,762 Posts
I'm kind of confused about what MV systems are banned and how the conversion process works.

I was under the impression that all new screw type MV bulbs and ballasts were banned and once a MV ballast died, it would have to be replaced by a MH ballast and in order to work with MV lamps, the wiring may have to be modified (I need clarification there too). If the Lamp died, it would have to be changed over to MH bulb and that will likely require a ballast change to MH also (again, I need clarification there).

The thing is, I still readily see R30 and R40 Mercury Vapor lamps sold. I think EYE is one of the manufacturers. These are the ones that are popular in residential landscape lights for lighting trees or moon lights and come in 50W, 100W, and 175w. I've also noticed that the 100Watt ballasts are also Mercury vapor ballasts (brand new) And they also sell MH ballasts that work with these lamps.

So what's the story? Are the R40 and R30 MV bulbs exempt from the ban? Also, is there a universal source to see the wiring diagrams for conversions from MH to MV or is it different from every manufacturer?
Mercury vapor lamp ballasts are all banned from make, so far all the replacement stock has been bought up and cant be sold. Mercury vapor bulbs, however, can still be sold though I hear a rumor they cant several years from now.

If a mercury vapor ballast fails the only option is replacement with a probe start metal halide ballast. In fact before the ballast ban nearly all MH ballasts were dual listed for both MV and MH, ie M59 plus H33 400 watt bulbs. Once the ban started legal wording said MH ballasts could carry the MV rating, however, they still do. A probe start mercury ballast is identical to a metal halide ballast of the same wattage; only difference is a slightly higher open circuit voltage to start the MH lamp which doesn't bother the MV lamp. Probe start 175, 250, 400, and 1000watt MH and MV lamps are interchangeable on an MH ballast.

However, if you have a pulse start ballast which is the requirement for all new fixture (probe start can only be bought for replacement) the igniter must be disconnected. MV lamps are not 5kv pulse rated. As long as the wattage is the same they will start and run normally.

Mercury lamps are still very popular in landscaping applications since you mention to R-30 and R-40 versions which are still used a lot. The clear green blends in well over the HPS alternatives.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts