Electrician Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am in-process of finishing basement. The MWBC currently powers dimmable LED lights in basement. I would like to extend MWBC to GFCI receptacles in basement. So each circuit would have gfci receptacles. Each circuit would include a few extra non-gfci receptacles which should have gfci protection since they will be connected to the load side of up-stream gfci receptacle.

GFCI receptacle instructions has warning: 'do not install gfci receptacle in an electrical box containing (a) more than 4 wires (not including ground) or (b) cables with more than two wires (not including ground)'.

Can GFCI receptacle be installed to Multi-Branch Wire Circuit as long as I pig tail Neutral before connecting to GFCI receptacle?

Will Neutral pig tail satisfy NEC 300.13 (B) device removal? 300.13 (B) says: 'In MWBC, continuity of grounded conductor shall not depend on device connection such as lampholder or receptacle where removal of device would interrupt continuity.'

Any issues expected if non-gfci receptacles are installed on load side of gfci receptacles on each circuit so they have gfci protection as well?

Any feedback will be appreciated.

·
Registered
Electrical Contractor
291 Posts
I have done it before. In this case if you have manufacturer instructions that prohibit it, that is what you must follow. I must admit I find your stated warning to be strange.
"do not install gfci receptacle in an electrical box containing (a) more than 3 wires (not including ground)"
If we feed the GFCI with 2 wires, and come out the load side with 2 wires for downstream protection, we have 4 wires in the box! Not allowed??

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have done it before. In this case if you have manufacturer instructions that prohibit it, that is what you must follow. I must admit I find your stated warning to be strange.
"do not install gfci receptacle in an electrical box containing (a) more than 3 wires (not including ground)"
If we feed the GFCI with 2 wires, and come out the load side with 2 wires for downstream protection, we have 4 wires in the box! Not allowed??
Thanks for the reply. That's a good catch. It should be '4 wires' not '3 wires'. I had a misprint which I corrected after you pointed that out.

·
Registered
Scada Supervisor
3,664 Posts
If you are a contractor please fill out your about field.
If you are a homeowner please go to dyichatroom.com the electrical section

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.