Electrician Talk banner

connectors "wago"

15K views 29 replies 22 participants last post by  erics37 
#1 ·
can i get some input on some connectors...they come in 2 through 5 connector for # 12 ...i usually see them in 120 v and low v can lights. im seeing them more and more used for connecting multiple grounds. they are stab lock. we were gonna use them on a large job but a supervisor said what if they turn out to be like stab lock plugs and it becomes a problem later on so we opted to stick with wire nuts...
any pros and cons would be helpful.

#3 ·
I have used them for years and so far not one failure.. :thumbsup:

They also come in 6 or 8 conductor with some rated for #10 wire..

Like with any electrical product.. the problems most likely are with the installer..

Some guys have "girly hands" and don't fully push the wire into the connector..

They are a time saving product that makes our job easier.. :thumbsup:

#4 ·
With either Wago brand or the Ideal In-Sures, I have NEVER had one problem. People have had some problems with the ones shipped in can lights, but remember, those are cheap Chinese knockoffs.

I have used the Ideals now for over 5 years almost entirely on light fixtures. This year I have started using them more and more on receptacle boxes. They are cheaper in the long run and easier on the paws.

#11 ·
I use them a fair amount. I inserted wire into them and then took them apart. And then I thought about the surface area contact....And then I thought about if you looked at the wire (like you were looking down a gun barrel) .. Think about how small of a circular mil that is? Make sense?

#18 ·
Very handy for solid wire. Stranded I never had much luck. Prefer wire nuts though, I equate the connection a wago makes to the push in connections on some switches and outlets. Just replaced one too many of those things to trust something that utilizes basically the same principal. Once again something that is preference.

#21 ·
Wago's look nice,,, but won't they burn everything down in a few years?
They use the same concept as a back stabbed receptacle. Even tombstones on a flouresent fixture can become brittle from heat over the years.

I've only used them a few times and do like them. But sit prefer wire nuts.

#29 ·
knowshorts said:
Were they actually Wagos or some off brand? What caused them to crumble or get burnt? They didn't just crumble on their own, what was your troubleshooting conclusion?
They were ideal I believe. On a T8 277v fixture. Arching caused the burning. No idea what caused the crumbling. Sometimes I remove the cover just to have pieces fall out. No discoloration or burn marks. the building is only 10 years old. Not sure if the contractor got a bad batch of them or what. Next time I come across one I'll post some pics in the thread.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.