Electrician Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! My name is Robert I 28 and I live in (and have lived all my life) in Montana. I am currently a Junior enrolled in Computer Engineering at MSU. However, I recently discovered that I might not be able to finish my major. Obviously this is a huge disappointment but you know what they say when life gives you lemons. It is really a long story and involves a change in major's and a lack a funding. Non-the-less I was thinking about becoming a professional electrician if school doesn't work out (which seems like it will be the case).

So I figured I would start by asking people who are already professionals whether or not this could be an option for me. I heard electricians can make good money if they work hard and I am a hard worker. Maybe some of you could give me some tips as to how I might go about becoming a professional electrician? Maybe fill me in on some of the details when it comes to your line of work. For instance, I have heard there are different types of electricians: apprentices, journeymen, masters, commercial, union.. ext.

Is it worth it to get some kind of degree? Are there degree's for electricians? Who makes the most money and where do you want to be (in the US) to maximize profit? Is there any way to accelerate the pay curve? As you can see I am full of questions and I will be doing some research on my own outside of the forums but I figured people here might be able to help me with some of the basics.

·
RIP 1959-2015
10,750 Posts
Hello everyone! My name is Robert I 28 and I live in (and have lived all my life) in Montana. I am currently a Junior enrolled in Computer Engineering at MSU. However, I recently discovered that I might not be able to finish my major. Obviously this is a huge disappointment but you know what they say when life gives you lemons. It is really a long story and involves a change in major's and a lack a funding. Non-the-less I was thinking about becoming a professional electrician if school doesn't work out (which seems like it will be the case).

So I figured I would start by asking people who are already professionals whether or not this could be an option for me. I heard electricians can make good money if they work hard and I am a hard worker. Maybe some of you could give me some tips as to how I might go about becoming a professional electrician? Maybe fill me in on some of the details when it comes to your line of work. For instance, I have heard there are different types of electricians: apprentices, journeymen, masters, commercial, union.. ext.

Is it worth it to get some kind of degree? Are there degree's for electricians? Who makes the most money and where do you want to be (in the US) to maximize profit? Is there any way to accelerate the pay curve? As you can see I am full of questions and I will be doing some research on my own outside of the forums but I figured people here might be able to help me with some of the basics.
Welcome Aboard:thumbup:

An Apprentice is an electricians helper, learner of the electrical trade.

A journeymen electrician is someone who worked 4 years plus and the required school hours.

A master electrician will have to get in school again and pass that exam to become a Master Electrician...

·
IBEW L.U. 1852
5,261 Posts
The big question is wether or not you can handle being this awesome:thumbsup:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts