Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm 20 years old and currently I'm in college with about 60 something credits towards an accounting degree. I feel like I am going just to please my parents. There is absolutely nothing in college that is appealing to me. None of the majors are things that I plan on doing for the rest of my life. My older brother graduated college and has been bouncing around trying to hold a job. He just got a job working at some shipping/receiving company (a job that doesn't require a degree at all) and is making about $15/hr. I feel like college is just a waste for me.

Just recently I've been seriously thinking about becoming an electrician. I don't mind the work and physical labor in general. I've always been good with my hands. The idea of not being stuck in the same place doing the same repetitive stuff day in and day out is appealing to me. I don't want to be stuck at a desk for the rest of my life. I plan on taking a visit to the local IBEW and applying for an apprenticeship.

I'm just curious to see if you guys think that this is the right choice for me. What was it like starting out as an electrician? Do you feel like it is the right career path?

·
Premium Member
20,984 Posts
Suffer through the next two years, finish your degree, then figure out what you want to do with the rest of your life. You've got 60 credit hours under your belt. Grin and bear it. You've got plenty of time. A degree does nothing to pigeon-hole you in life, and it can only help you. Now's not the best time to peruse a tradecraft. A couple years from now will be better anyhow.

·
animal lover /rat bastard
13,547 Posts
stay in college. get a degree.

Reactions: TOOL_5150

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I did not go to college and with my family situation at the time I knew that my family could only pay for one of us (I have a younger brother) to go. My problem like you have seen first hand probably is I did not know what I would study and also did not want to waste a significant amount of my parents money. I actually started in the trade in high school and finally felt that it was something that intrested me. I have been very lucky as I have learned a wide variety of this field, am I master of this universe not even close I learn new things everyday and this site has been a large help also.
One aspect of this trade is there are so many facets to it, you could work in an air port or residential or commercial industrial environment to name a few and not even scratch the surface. That said be ready to put in the time and invest in your career if this is the path you choose it will be all in what you make of it in the end.
I hope this helps!

·
13,020 Posts
I dropped out of a semi-prestigious university after 2 years because of the exact same reasons you listed and it is the biggest regret of my life.

Go ahead and become an electrician; the first dead animal you plant your hand into while crawling under a damp moldy crawlspace will make you miss the accounting classes.

You're 20 now. Whether you heed my advice or not, just know that in 10 years, whatever vocation you will be involved in then, you'll think back and say, "Damn, that erics37 dude was right." Mark my words.

·
Registered
937 Posts
If mom and Dad are paying get the degree for sure. College isn't cheap and you can still become an electrician....I will say though that I probably never applied anything I learned in a business or accounting class to my electrical business...but it helps me answer Jeopardy questions when I toggle back and forth from Electrician Talk to Facebook....especially the English lit stuff..:p

·
Electrical Contractor
9,327 Posts
If mom and Dad are paying get the degree for sure. College isn't cheap and you can still become an electrician....I will say though that I probably never applied anything I learned in a business or accounting class to my electrical business...but it helps me answer Jeopardy questions when I toggle back and forth from Electrician Talk to Facebook....especially the English lit stuff..:p
:laughing::laughing: It wasn't a total waste then was it!!

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
I'm 20 years old and currently I'm in college with about 60 something credits towards an accounting degree. I feel like I am going just to please my parents. There is absolutely nothing in college that is appealing to me. None of the majors are things that I plan on doing for the rest of my life. My older brother graduated college and has been bouncing around trying to hold a job. He just got a job working at some shipping/receiving company (a job that doesn't require a degree at all) and is making about $15/hr. I feel like college is just a waste for me.

Just recently I've been seriously thinking about becoming an electrician. I don't mind the work and physical labor in general. I've always been good with my hands. The idea of not being stuck in the same place doing the same repetitive stuff day in and day out is appealing to me. I don't want to be stuck at a desk for the rest of my life. I plan on taking a visit to the local IBEW and applying for an apprenticeship.

I'm just curious to see if you guys think that this is the right choice for me. What was it like starting out as an electrician? Do you feel like it is the right career path?
I agree with what Marc said stay in school for now and get that accounting degree.

When you are done with that the economy will be better and if you want to be an Electrician that accounting degree will come in handy when you have become a Journeyman Electrician and want to start your own business.

Good luck and Welcome to the forum...:thumbup:

·
Registered
97 Posts

Get the degree man. If after you have it you still want to be an electrician then the degree will help you balance the books of your business later on man. Starting in this field sucks. You'll be stuck in ditches, climbing in attics, busting your ass all day long. You will be truly a grunt. Depending on where you're geographically located the electrical trade can be extremely competitive which means low wages, and few jobs.

That degree will only make you more appealing to employers even if you decide to go electrical, and will open more doors for you then any electrician license will. Don't throw your credits away.

·
Ambassador of Amps
9,518 Posts
Become an electrician; no longer like your whole life.

STAY IN SCHOOL!

·
Registered
165 Posts
I was client 8 for my accountant some 25 years ago. Now he has over 200 clients an assistant and at $1000.00 / client he has time to surf his brains out. You,will appreciate the degree for a lifetime.

·
Banned
627 Posts

get the degree. it won't guarantee you success, but NOT getting it sure the
hell won't either.

a cpa is a lucrative calling. an electrician, well......

i started this 35 years ago. relatively speaking, it was a better deal then.
would i do it over, starting back then? yeah, probably i would.

would i do it over again, starting today? no. i'd get a P.E. license.
or a CPA.

i'm 56 years old, and what you can do at 26, you can do at 56, but
there is a finite time limit for doing hard physical labor. i'm in good
health, but would i want to do 14 hour days in the overhead of a
convention center, doing trade shows?

nope.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Hmm, This really isnt a question that anyone can answer but yourself. To help you make the decision take some personality/career assesments, there are a ton of free ones on the internet. I went to College for Business management then later to University for marketing and spent 15 years looking for something that would make me happy. I did a bunch of those tests and they all pointed to the trades and specifically to electrical. I went back to school again for electrical engineering technician. I am now in my final semester and am happy with what I am learning and what I am doing.

My program is geared to the power industry and industrial, working with motors, controls, sensors, electronics, electrical maintenance, design etc. The intention of the program is to go into an industrial automation type of role or into the utilities. I did my first Coop at a place fixing light curtains for automotive mfgrs, working with sensors and built a couple of wireless control systems. I still work there while I am in school and have a full time job waiting once I graduate. I did my second coop at a nuclear power plant and also have a really good shot at an control tech apprentice job once I graduate.

Take some tests and maybe look at what other programs your school has. Not all electricians crawl in attics or dig ditches.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Stay in school. I regret everyday that I did not finish college. I am 28 and now taking online classes so I can obtain my degree. If your circumstances dictate that you must start earning an income, as mine did, then joining the trade is a great idea. If you are ok with where you are at and don't have a pregnant girlfriend, finish school!

·
Registered
752 Posts
I'd at least finish but unlike some on here I love my trade, I did get my associates while working as an electrician but wouldn't change anything about my career path this far.

·
Registered
937 Posts
get the degree. it won't guarantee you success, but NOT getting it sure the
hell won't either.

a cpa is a lucrative calling. an electrician, well......

i started this 35 years ago. relatively speaking, it was a better deal then.
would i do it over, starting back then? yeah, probably i would.

would i do it over again, starting today? no. i'd get a P.E. license.
or a CPA.

i'm 56 years old, and what you can do at 26, you can do at 56, but
there is a finite time limit for doing hard physical labor. i'm in good
health, but would i want to do 14 hour days in the overhead of a
convention center, doing trade shows?

nope.
I dunno though..My CPA does my quickbooks too for a little less than a third what I charge...but she can rake in a lot more billable hours in a year as she doesn't move around...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Stay in school and recieve your degree. You are to far into your career to quit now, plus it will help you throughout your life. Your only 20 years old, so you have your whole life to change and do something different, if you choose to.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts