Electrician Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello.

I'm doing my IP exam next Friday and was wondering if anyone has done this exam recently could point me in the right direction on what to focus on? I'm pretty good at code and math. I've heard there's a lot of code on the IP? Is this true? I've been doing the ESAT lately and have been getting in the 80's recently, but I don't know how much I trust this tool as there are a number of questions I really question the answer to, so I don't know if I actually got the question right or if it really was wrong.

I also got a few questions about Section 8 in the CEC on the IP. For all 4 years of school my teachers have all had different ways going about some of the rules. Some have told us to use the 95% rule and some have told us to ignore it. I assume the IP will enforce this as it is written in the CEC?

Also for determining breaker sizes some teachers have made us choose 80% breakers and some have made us calculate them based off of 100%. What is the default I should be going to on the IP? I'm assuming if it's non-continuous go with 100% and if stated as non-continues go with the rules of 8-104?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

EDIT - I should also mention that I have only worked in Industrial throughout my apprenticeship. Will this hurt me on the IP as I have no residential or commercial experience?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Hello.

I'm doing my IP exam next Friday and was wondering if anyone has done this exam recently could point me in the right direction on what to focus on? I'm pretty good at code and math. I've heard there's a lot of code on the IP? Is this true? I've been doing the ESAT lately and have been getting in the 80's recently, but I don't know how much I trust this tool as there are a number of questions I really question the answer to, so I don't know if I actually got the question right or if it really was wrong.

I also got a few questions about Section 8 in the CEC on the IP. For all 4 years of school my teachers have all had different ways going about some of the rules. Some have told us to use the 95% rule and some have told us to ignore it. I assume the IP will enforce this as it is written in the CEC?

Also for determining breaker sizes some teachers have made us choose 80% breakers and some have made us calculate them based off of 100%. What is the default I should be going to on the IP? I'm assuming if it's non-continuous go with 100% and if stated as non-continues go with the rules of 8-104?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

EDIT - I should also mention that I have only worked in Industrial throughout my apprenticeship. Will this hurt me on the IP as I have no residential or commercial experience?
Good luck on the exam..:thumbsup:

·
Registered
728 Posts
good luck.:thumbsup:

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
That ESAT is known for being problematic in many questions.. the IP exam will not have any of those questions. The questions have been vetted many times and have very clear answers.. so likely you will either be able to get the answer or you just won't. Make sure you guess if you don't know.

There's oddball stuff on it to.. like safety, msds/whmis and crane signals, among other junk that many of us don't know. As long as you're solid in the code, and guess on the other stuff, you should do fine. I'm pretty sure you just go with 100% on the breaker sizing.. there won't be any tricks or oddball questions.

Good luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have my Millwright ticket also, so I kind of know what to expect on the IP in how they'll ask the questions. I'm not too worried about those odd ball safety/whmis/crane signal questions as I am familiar with them from my millwright apprenticeship and my work makes us do WHMIS every year.

The one section I've been focusing most of my review on is DC and AC machines, as there was just so much info in those sections to learn. I find everything else we learned was all related throughout all 4 years, so if you don't know it by now then you'll have a lot of studying to do haha.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just wrote the IP in Dec. in Victoria. I was surprised how few calculations were on the exam. The bulk, approx 70% was code. If you're comfortable with code and the random safety stuff, you should be fine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts