Electrician Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Light Emitting Decoration
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed many LED products show up on Home Depot's website for something like "was $24.99" with the prices struck out and showing "50% off, $12.49" with "limit 6" or so. Just enough for someone to do one area in their home. It's not like an advertised sale and the prices will jump up to let's say $19.99 and "20% off". you see the prices jump up to 19.99, then show as 20% off. It's as unpredictable as gas prices.

I wonder if they're working with the LED industry to displace fluorescent lamps inspired by the certain blue themed retail chain with a reputation for displacing competitors using rock bottom prices and raising them up once they have a monopoly. That certain blue store sells food and clothing at some locations.

·
Banned
39,722 Posts
It never works out when the spectre of gub'mit subsidization OR monopolization rears it's ugly head Enlightened one....:(

The local Ace hardware chains here are pedaling LED floods for $5 , which i can't buy from any reputable electrical supplier for under $12:no:

So whadda ya thiMk ? ;)

The bottom'll drops out, leaving LED addicts cold T8 Turkeys again!:eek:

~C:laughing:S~

·
Keeper Of The Magic
415 Posts
EL - sometimes it's volume/new versions and sometimes it's rebates built in.

Here on LI - the rebates are built in to the LED's. So they will be cheap one week and not the next. Also they don't want us the contractors to go in and clean them out when the price is cheap - just the average joe so they limited it to 6. Does it stop me of any other person here from making multiple purchases - no. Rebates are so-so. So try to buy when the price is down. Usually they will have a sticker next to the price - reflecting the rebate is built in. If that sticker is gone - so is the rebate and the higher price. I track the price on a few LED's when I am in there shopping to know if I am getting hosed or not.

Another 2 things I notice are:

1 - volume - if it is not moving for whatever reason - they'll discount it and once it starts moving - jack the price slightly to make a little $ on it.

2 - new version - Yes the LED's come updated every once in awhile. New drivers, more lumens, less wattage, etc. If that's the case - the previous version goes on sale with the same parameters as above.

You know the game - we want to save money buying - they want to make money purchasing. As long as you think you are saving money and getting a good deal - make it happen.

Cheers...

·
Senile Member
30,707 Posts
I wonder which chain controls the surf. It gets big, then small again. Then big,.... then small. They have been manipulating for years and years now......

·
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wonder which chain controls the surf. It gets big, then small again. Then big,.... then small. They have been manipulating for years and years now......
I think Cree and Home Depot have been big players. Many Cree consumer pcLED solid state fluorescent lamps ,,,,uhh LED bulbs are sold exclusively through the Depot.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I think Cree and Home Depot have been big players. Many Cree consumer pcLED solid state fluorescent lamps ,,,,uhh LED bulbs are sold exclusively through the Depot.
Over the years I have read all your threads with anticipation, they are always well thought out and informative - but how does an LED fluoresce?

never mind it is a play on words

·
Banned
11,766 Posts
Our infrastructure has been due for upgrades 35 years now. Guess whos doing them? It aint the POCOs, its us. Energy efficient under the cloak of climate change persuades consumers to do the upgrading.

·
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Over the years I have read all your threads with anticipation, they are always well thought out and informative - but how does an LED fluoresce?

never mind it is a play on words
Yes and no. It's pretty clear. It's the manufacturers playing with words like "LED TV". The only difference is how the fluorescence is powered.
It matters a great deal. The degradation of phosphor as well as the separation from LED and phosphor all contribute to performance change.

If we had a 400W 48W T8 Extreme High Output bulbs loading the phosphor coating extremely heavy like SSFLs, it would have a terrible lumen maintenance like LEDs too.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Call me a dink but I have ordered the new Cree wifi bulbs and Wink hub, I can now control my lights with my cell phone from anywhere on earth for no particular reason.

ps. thanks for the detailed explanation as always.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I had a chemistry teacher like you in college, he said "since nobody here knows anything about chemistry I'm just gonna make crap up"

·
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had a chemistry teacher like you in college, he said "since nobody here knows anything about chemistry I'm just gonna make crap up"
Who's making things up? :rolleyes:
You're referencing it by who's coining the names and doing the deception.

More uninformed the consumer, the more likely they'll follow the sales hype like a herd of sheep. If we call a CCFL backlit LCD TV a = "Cold Cathode TV" and solid state fluorescent lit LCD TV an "LCD TV" it's not any more made up than the converse. SSFL LCD backlit LCD TV manufacturers aren't making talks about "obsolete LCDs". A TV that forms the image with LEDs can justifiably be called an LED TV, but what they market as "LED TV" only uses LEDs for an auxiliary role.

When did you finally realize most "LED bulbs" are "fluorescent technology"?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts