Electrician Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys
I bought an Hager Esc463s contactor, that seems to me it heats up too much? Under no load, just connecting the coil, it heats up to about 50 Celsius, ambient temperature 30 Celsius. Is this normal? Do the contactor coils heat up that much? It is not defective, as i sent it back, and bought another one, the same model from another place, same temperatures!
Thank you!

·
Registered
Scada Supervisor
4,559 Posts
63 amp contactor takes a good amount of force to make sure contacts make full connection.
For a rough estimate take actual current x voltage = watts
Say .25 amps at 240 volt = 60 watts.
How hot does a 60 watt light bulb get?

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
IEC 60085 requires a minimum of Class F insulation, which means the insulation in the coil windings must withstand a temperature RISE of at least 105C over ambient. So yours reading 50C total is basically irrelevant in terms of what the coil is required to handle.

·
Chief Flunky
Field Service Engineer
3,582 Posts
it doesn't buzz, it is a silent type unit
Not for now. Often tge poke face coil corrodes or gets damaged over time or some designs use a small “clip”. This helps flatten the magnetic field making it more even and then “clips” adjust phasing. Loss of any of these causes the contactor to buzz, indicating it should be replaced.

Has nothing to do with “silence”.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Make sure the contactor is not under mechanical stress, that is, it's not warping or twisting when its mounting screws are tightened. You want the armature to move freely and completely to the closed (energized) position. If the coil's armature is not pulling in fully, the laminated armature will not produce enough CEMF (counter magnetic force, z impedance) to limit the current in the coil, thereby increasing current draw, thus heating. In fact, if you seize the armature completely, the coil will burn up.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts