Electrician Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone heard the rule that if there is more than 4 contactors in a box it has to be CSA approved as a control box. Can not recall anything in the code book regarding this.

·
Electrical Contractor
Trying to retire or at least slow down a bit, but life not cooperating
5,261 Posts
Got busted eh?

Manitoba Hydro 2012 Electrical Bylaw
Item # 5 rule 2-024

I'm not sure, but I think the City follows the same rule, but it's not stated in the Technical Interpretations.
The way I was told that the rule means a maximum of 4 contacts in a box, and anything other than that,requires a Dept of Labour ( Office of the Fire Commissioner) inspection or label.
That means switches, pilot lights etc.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope not busted, going to run into a situation where I am going to need to run a bunch of kitchen equipment through a contactor and would love to put them in a 18x18 above the panel.

So the rules say maximum 4 contactors or relays.

Do they mean 4 set of contacts or could I put in 4 8 pole contactors in and be good.

Those requirements they list, is that for when your using a normal box with 4 or less contactors.

·
Electrical Contractor
Trying to retire or at least slow down a bit, but life not cooperating
5,261 Posts
Check with whichever inspector is looking after your area.

The way the MB Hydro inspector explained it to me, was, no more than 4 contacts. So any combination of contactors, just as long there weren't more than 4 poles.
But as I said earlier, its only detailed in the Hydro bylaws, not COW's, and I haven\t been in the situation of putting together a box with more than 1 relay.
Size is important too, as one of the concerns, is heat dissipation. Hence the restriction on the number of poles.

https://www.hydro.mb.ca/customer_services/permits_and_inspections/electrical/electrical_code.pdf

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If that is the case, I better start thinking of another way to do it. Don't really like the idea of 5 or 6 boxes just for contactors.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
well this may a little more expensive, but you surely have control panel companys that have CSA and they can make the panel for you and have it csa listed

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There is two separate kitchens, one kitchen has 8 or 9 circuits. The second kitchen has roughly the same.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
There is two separate kitchens, one kitchen has 8 or 9 circuits. The second kitchen has roughly the same.
They make 12 circuit contactors with their own enclosure.

Don't know if it will help you or not.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Two kitchens, two separate fire suppression systems. When fire suppression goes off it only turns off in the kitchen where fire suppression is pulled.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
If the 'more then 4 contactors in a JB' effects you, you could have two big contactors turning off two small pony panels. Each Pony Panel would feed each kitchen.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts