Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although my state does not require continuing NEC education I think it should be a requirement for licensing renewal.
A fellow electrician tells me that he is dead set against it because he fears that a test would be involved and some people do not test well and they would not be able to work if they would fail the test. I will say that is a legitimate concern .
I feel that a test should not be required just documentation that you did attend a continuing education class.
My question is in the states that require education do any states require testing and in the states that do what happens if you don't pass the test.

Thanks LC

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Wisconsin and michigan just make you sit the hours of continuing education. No test. If anything, the states with no update should have to take a test to keep their license.

·
Light Emitting Decoration
1,323 Posts
I feel that a test should absolutely be required whether or not you attended the continuing education class.

·
NJ-IEC
14,387 Posts
I believe continuing education is a good thing. I'd have no problem with a short test after an 8 hour course. I see guys in these classes surfing the Internet and doing anything but listening to the instructor. That's BS and you know it.

If your friend has a hard time passing a test then how the hell did he get a license in the first place?

·
Light Emitting Decoration
1,323 Posts
No test means plenty will show up, sit through playing on his phone defeating the purpose. The lack of actual absorption of knowledge is probably has something to do with all the believers of light emitting decoration fanboys believing them to be the future on false reasoning

·
Registered
387 Posts
We take a test every 3 years before our license renewal. If you pass everything no continuing Ed. is required. If you fail a section (there's 4) you have to take classes - a max of two I think, before you can test to renew again in 3 years.

The issue I have with tests is that very few electricians have to look things up in the NEC or need to have formulas memorized as stuff is easily looked up electronically in their everyday work. I'm all for letting people use whatever means they normally do at work to take the test - like searchable electronic NEC and special calculators. To me it matters that you know how to find the answers, not the method you use to find them.

·
evil bastard
15,771 Posts
I absolutely love the continuing educating required test. In the 70s, people in va used to get a combo licensed hvac, plumbi ng, electrical. Continuing education requirementsn put a stop to that nonsense

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
I am licensed in several states and while I think it is a good idea, the online course I took BLEW, I took several class room courses with an excellent instructor but it focused mainly on residential code changes. I do NOTHING in the residential market and while I find the classes interesting not much good for me except for keeping my licenses active.

But I think it is a good idea and that WE DO NOT TEST WELL is a bs excuse for not keeping current.

·
Electrical Simpleton
3,350 Posts
Ohio requires continuing education for licensed contractors, inspectors and Architects/Engineers.

There is no requirement that individual tradesmen have any continuing ed. The downside to this is that the owner of the company is made aware of code changes, etc... but all too often he/she forgets to relay that information to their employees.

Pete

·
Can't Remember
10,133 Posts
If you aren't up to date and the only ones who are are the inspectors, its going to cost you as an owner and the weekend spent reviewing won't seem so expensive. I can live without tests every three years. I think the MA 21hrs is overkill.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
We have 14 hour requirement every 2 years. Multiple ways to accomplish. I definitely think it should be a requirement.

Sent from my house using 2 cans and a string!

·
IBEW L.U. 1852
5,261 Posts
The lack of actual absorption of knowledge is probably has something to do with all the believers of light emitting decoration fanboys believing them to be the future on false reasoning
For f&cK sake, dude.....we get it.....you don't like LED's. Getting kind of old .

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
You beat me to it...totally agree with this.
I agree as well

·
corn-fused
4,769 Posts
altough i am sometimes bored at these, rehashing things i do everyday, i still think its a good idea, especially on the new codes. besides, you just might learn something you THOUGHT you knew!

·
Registered
559 Posts
No test means plenty will show up, sit through playing on his phone defeating the purpose. The lack of actual absorption of knowledge is probably has something to do with all the believers of light emitting decoration fanboys believing them to be the future on false reasoning
Is the flashlight you use flourescent?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Alabama - 14 hours every 2 years. Minimum 50% NEC. Testing only required for online CE. If you're in a class, no test. We have small classes with lots of discussion and very few people not paying attention.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts