Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Does anyone have anything in their contracts regarding working in someone's home when the customer is not present? What happens if you are accused of stealing something? My insurance agent let me know that I am covered for this type of thing but I would like to do all that I should do in order to protect myself in case it ever happens. I really hadn't given this a lot of thought until recently. - This came to mind again when a customer asked me about working in their home; they then proceeded to tell me that they couldn't be there when the work was being done. (Because of the customer's attitude, I really didn't like the idea of that. - Some people are more picky or nervous than others and sometimes people can make me a bit nervous... But, I digress.) I'm really looking for some contract language that might help protect me in the event someone makes an accusation against me or an employee. Maybe I'm looking for a unicorn... I don't know.

·
Registered
31,479 Posts
When I did residential maybe 30-40% was with the homeowner not there.
Nothing ever happened.

We seldom do residential but had a job in a Condo that required us to enter the units, had a woman accuse us of stealing money, we insisted she call the cops even though she did not want to. Turns out she spent the money and did not want to tell her boyfriend. She finally fessed up.

If you are honest (and your employees) I would do the work and if accused insist on calling the police.

·
Registered
220 Posts
As far as I know, there is no contract clause to protect you from this. If you put in there "not responsible for thing that go missing while we are there" you sound like a crook, and most likely won't stand up in court in my completely uninformed opinion. If I saw that in a contract, I wouldn't hire that guy.

The best thing you can do is make sure you trust your guys. That way if someone accuses you, you can tell them no, and insist on cop involvement as mentioned above.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
We've been doing residential service for years. We've never put anything in writing regarding working without the homeowner present.

But, we have trustworthy guys. I wouldn't have any problem sending any of them to my own grandmothers house.

·
Super Moderator
Retired
16,961 Posts
Even Directv will not come out unless a person at least 18 years of age is present.
I'm no contractor, but I would never enter a home without someone there.
An adult.
You guys actually go into peoples homes when they are not home?

·
Registered
220 Posts
We will NOT enter a house with only a minor in it. (Especially a female, some Grace may be given for a 17 male). However we have no issue with an empty house.

We have had a few incidents over my 15 years, both with customers home and not.

Funny thing is, the customers who were there, always seem to be the most adiment.

·
RSE Master Electrician
845 Posts
Most of my experience was commercial. When I worked in an office after hours wit no one there I always requested security to be there. It’s protection, Not for the customer, for me and my guys.
Let’s say the customer thinks they left something of value in the office. Even though it wasn’t left there, if they think it was and then after you work there it’s gone, they blame you.

I would never work in someone’s house without someone there.

·
Registered
967 Posts
We are upgrading really crapy section 8 apartment building and I have a master key and enter units constantly and have had no problems . I prefer that the job site be empty . I have been accused once of theft . They thought I took a 20,000$ Rolex . Three weeks later he found it behind a dresser . He begged us to come back and keep doing his work . F-no hocho .

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay, no unicorn... My dad recently told me you can't really contract your liabilities away; I'd say he is probably right. I guess it's probably the same for any of us. I know the POCO here won't allow their inspectors to go into an occupied home without someone being there. (That's their policy.) I agree when it come to minors too. - I had to call a customer one time to cancel a job after I arrived because a minor female answered the door; then she had another young female just getting out of bed in the living room. (The customer was at work.) I said, to myself, this isn't a good situation. No, no, no.... It became company policy right then and there that someone 18 years or older has to be home at the time of service if a minor is present. I really hadn't given too much thought about these things when I first started out in business.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Even Directv will not come out unless a person at least 18 years of age is present.
An adult.
All the time. In the old days if the house was locked we would look for a bsmt window that was not locked and slither in.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I have a friend whose employee was accused of "wrong doing" with the woman of the house. The employee immediately went back to the truck and called the office, his wife, minister and cops. Smartest thing he ever did.

·
Registered
31,479 Posts
An adult.
Direct TV uses contractors with no direct employees. Big difference for a large firm.

As for commercial offices, we have large crews in buildings for a whole weekend if I needed someone to be with them full time I would never make any money as the "followers" would delay any work. They disappear, sit on their tushies, fall asleep. just a PIA.

·
Estwing magic
25,445 Posts
I have never really thought about this but we live in a society where glancing at a woman’s boobs is considered “sight rape”. Also, if I was working on my own and a teenage girl came home from school, it would be a good reason to pack up quick and leave.

I don’t need that chit.

It might not be a case of working when the HO isn’t there but when (she) IS there.

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
I have never really thought about this but we live in a society where glancing at a woman’s boobs is considered “sight rape”. Also, if I was working on my own and a teenage girl came home from school, it would be a good reason to pack up quick and leave.

I don’t need that chit.

It might not be a case of working when the HO isn’t there but when (she) IS there.
Sight rape? Lol

Lock me up! I love eye candy!

We had a guy bolt on us while troubleshooting....he just left without a word.

Had a ladys daughter come home from school while we were cleaning up. She went right to her room to bang her boyfriend, while we were still there. Lol

Sent from my LG-K550 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
Pres., GPS Timers
6,759 Posts
Site rape = there was a liberal screaming that a republican "raped her" because "he was LOOKING AT ME!"

That was about 2 years ago.

Of course MSM made HER the victim when we all know who the real victim is.

·
Estwing magic
25,445 Posts
I can see it now - “Me too” insurance.

Certainly, there are plenty of male pigs out there but there’s nothing to say that us working...erm...stiffs won’t get trapped.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts

I don’t need that chit.

Is there such a thing as statutory sight rape? :vs_laugh:
I may be doing some hard time :sad: 16 will get you 20:wink:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts