Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
LAElectrician
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK Guys, here is my 20 year old book on starting and running a small contracting business. I put each chapter in its own page on a new blog I just started, so each chapter has its own link. Just click on the ones you’re interested in. I’m not sure how the formatting is going to work out, but at least all the words should be there…

Please don’t get annoyed if this information seem too basic or sophomoric; I originally wrote it for start-up contractors. Hope you like it!

Successful Contracting

Chapter 1 – THE PURPOSE OF THIS BOOK
Chapter 2 - FIND A CUSTOMER
Chapter 3 - FIND OUT WHAT WORK THE CUSTOMER NEEDS AND WANTS
Chapter 4 - AGREE WITH THE CUSTOMER THAT YOU CAN DO THE JOB
Chapter 5 - AGREE ON HOW MUCH MONEY YOU WILL GET FOR THE JOB
Chapter 6 - DO THE JOB
Chapter 7 - COLLECT THE MONEY Part 1
Chapter 8 - COLLECT THE MONEY Part 2
Chapter 9 - COLLECT THE MONEY Part 3
Chapter 10 - MAKE A PROFIT
Chapter 11 - TIPS FOR SUCCESSFUL CONTRACTING
Chapter 12 - BUILDING YOUR CONTRACTING BUSINESS Part 1
Chapter 13 - BUILDING YOUR CONTRACTING BUSINESS Part 2
Chapter 14 - BUILDING YOUR CONTRACTING BUSINESS Part 3
Chapter 15 - ADDITIONAL ASPECTS OF CONTRACTING
Chapter 16 - FINAL WORD

·
Licensed Journeyman
5,880 Posts
Super Kewl dude - gonna start reading today

Heads up its a tough crowd 'round here:thumbup:

·
Chairman of the Bored
9,774 Posts
To borrow a phrase from the 30's, that's a "swell" thing to do man, I appreciate the free material!

·
Licensed Journeyman
5,880 Posts
This is going to be a great help to me. Thanks a bunch for posting this on here. Great for someone like myself who has definate issues with customers.

·
Registered
22 Posts
LA,
checked your legal info, there is error on the expiration date of your Compensation plan there is an extra 0

·
Chairman of the Bored
9,774 Posts
This is going to be a great help to me. Thanks a bunch for posting this on here. Great for someone like myself who has definate issues with customers.
...you being the "not quite the customer service type of guy"?:laughing:

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Thanks for the links. There is some helpful info in there for a guy just starting out. My goal is to start in the first or second quarter of 2010.

·
LAElectrician
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Looking forward to hearing more about your Pay by production system.
ramsy, I wrote a little bit about my pay by production system in the middle part of another thread which you can find here. After the reaction I got, however, I'm not too interested in elaborating on it much further...:)

·
Registered
341 Posts
Thank you very much for sharing.

From Chapter 2.

NOTE TO READER: When I first wrote this in 1990, there was basically no internet marketing going on. Twenty years later, internet marketing for contractors is rapidly becoming the dominate way for contractors to market their companies in larger population areas

The correct word would be dominant.

·
LAElectrician
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you very much for sharing.

From Chapter 2.

NOTE TO READER: When I first wrote this in 1990, there was basically no internet marketing going on. Twenty years later, internet marketing for contractors is rapidly becoming the dominate way for contractors to market their companies in larger population areas

The correct word would be dominant.
Jim,

You are right about the correct word being dominant. Since I am perfect in every way, and therefore incapable of making errors of any kind, the only possible explanation for this supposed “mistake” is that I used the word dominate instead of dominant on purpose!

If was all part of my secret plan to see if there were any intelligent, literate and observant electricians out there reading chapter 2 of my book. I guess there’s at least one. Thanks, Jim. I appreciate the copy editing help, and have already made the correction.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts