Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,554 Posts
Construction jobs require a tight lunch schedule or you will get hurt bad.
Service is another story. Guys usually get paid whatever time is on the ticket or if you are doing flat rate correctly, they would be earning that lunch time if they get paid for it.
If the shop rule is to take lunch, and I agree that it should be for many reasons including safety, they should follow it like any other rule.

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
FWIW.

My guys get a 1/2hr lunch everyday. They can stop on the way to the job and get whatever they want, and put it in a cooler that I provide. They fill it up in the morning with bottled water and soda if they want it.

One place they work at provides a catered lunch everyday, for $4.

If they are close by a place, say BurgerDong for Whopper Wednesday, the low man leaves 15 minutes early and gets the order. When he gets back to the jobsite, they stop and have lunch.

I didn't have a clear procedure on how to handle this until it was too late, as advantages were being taken at my expense.

·
Banned
7,230 Posts
I rarely even stop for lunch.

Companies I worked for varied from mandatory 1/2hr unpaid lunch, no coffee breaks, to mandatory 1/2hr paid lunch no coffee breaks, to 1/2hr unpaid lunch with coffee breaks, to skip coffee breaks and lunch and get paid 8hrs for 7.5hrs work.

I prefer less breaks and less hours at work.

·
:-)
3,670 Posts
The last 5 years I worked for a company (early 70s) I drove a service truck. As far as i know the boss never new if I had lunch or not. There were 8 trucks and 40 men on construction. 5 men, 3 women in the office. I talked to the boss maybe 2 or 3 times in the 8 years I was there.

I usually (and often still do) eat lunch, sitting on my butt, driving from one service call to another.

However on a large construction job lunch and more so, coffee breaks can kill you. Better load the estimate. Workers may walk for 10 minutes before getting to their thermos and then pull 20 minutes instead of 15.

^^ times that by 20 workers for a year...

·
Salty Member
31,081 Posts
However on a large construction job lunch and more so, coffee breaks can kill you. Better load the estimate. Workers may walk for 10 minutes before getting to their thermos and then pull 20 minutes instead of 15.
For us break starts and stops at certain times, if the walk is far you need to bring break with you.

If it is a big job and has a coffee truck an apprentice or two will go get everyone's stuff.

·
Banned
16,981 Posts
When I'm doing jobs on the road, my company policy is to get a paid lunch break. But I don't work for an EC either.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
As many of us do but if your time card actully shows that the company you work for can get in deep doo doo.
Luckily,our time cards and invoices don't actually show times, just hours. If I'm on the same job all day (rarely happens) my paperwork just says "8hrs". No one will ever know if I worked 7:00-12:00, lunch, 12:30-3:30 or just 7:00-3:00.

Our construction jobs are pretty strict about breaks and lunch, but they have multiple guys on the job. As a service guy I work alone so no one really cares as long as my work gets done. I turn in 8 hours worth of slips everyday, that's all they care.

Depending on where, what, how many different jobs I do that day, my actual hours could be:

7:00-3:00, no lunch = 8hrs
7:00-3:30, 1/2 hr lunch = 8hrs
7:00-3:00, 1 hr lunch = 8hrs:whistling2:(not often, but I'd be lying if I said it never happens)

It depends on the job. As long as my slips total 8 hrs, the office doesn't care.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts