Electrician Talk banner

convert 120V outdoor chandelier to 12V

32312 Views 22 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  Dennis Alwon
Hi, I am a newbie to this forum so please pardon my newbie inexperience here. :eek: I would really appreciate your input on this one. A client bought this outdoor chandelier for his patio http://www.lightingdirect.com/kichl...iers-from-the-high-country-collection/p845379 thinking it was low voltage but soon realized it was for 120. I of course suggested he returns it and buys a 12V piece instead, but his wife :mad: really likes the design of this one and none of only 3 available 12V models (I can't blame to poor fellow for trying). If I simply use LV light bulbs and connect to 12V AC transformer will that work or some more involved electrical work is required?
Thanks in advance!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Administrator
Retired EC
24,901 Posts
Sure it will work but it will void the warranty and the listing. Going from 120v to 12V is better than the other way around. If someone puts in a 120V bulb it will not work so not much danger there.

They do make standard bulbs that are 12V

Reactions: Entropy

· Registered
11,599 Posts
I just thought only line voltage fixtures would be required to be. Huh. Never thought landscape light would be listed. the transformer yes the fixtures no.
Learn something new every day.

· Premium Member
Licensed Electrical Contractor
11,733 Posts
Hi, I am a newbie to this forum so please pardon my newbie inexperience here. :eek: I would really appreciate your input on this one. A client bought this outdoor chandelier for his patio http://www.lightingdirect.com/kichl...iers-from-the-high-country-collection/p845379 thinking it was low voltage but soon realized it was for 120. I of course suggested he returns it and buys a 12V piece instead, but his wife :mad: really likes the design of this one and none of only 3 available 12V models (I can't blame to poor fellow for trying). If I simply use LV light bulbs and connect to 12V AC transformer will that work or some more involved electrical work is required?
Thanks in advance!
WHO in their right mind would buy that thinking it was low-voltage???? What in the world gave yo....... um, him that idea???

WHAT is the obsession with it being 12V? WHY make it SO complicated?

Reactions: ace24wright

· Registered
11,599 Posts
Thanks in advance!
I have done this a few times. you just need to find some medium base 12 volt lamps. Now days they have LED ones even. I do mark the fixture "12 volt only".

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
WHO in their right mind would buy that thinking it was low-voltage???? What in the world gave yo....... um, him that idea???

WHAT is the obsession with it being 12V? WHY make it SO complicated?
It matches their decor and he wife likes that particular design, so he (I think it's her) bought it on impulse. :no:

· Banned
2,503 Posts
Damn, 12 20W fixtures and the want to add a chandelier? What size of conductor is pulled?

I understand your dilemma now... since she won't return it, sounds like you're going to make some good money running a 120V circuit out there!

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
it's Malibu 600W transformer with about 150 feet of 12 gage wire with the total of 340W of load. I think it should do. I did the voltage drop calculation and it worked out well.
Can you please recommend 20W light bulbs for this chandelier?

· Salty Member
31,030 Posts
it's Malibu 600W transformer with about 150 feet of 12 gage wire with the total of 340W of load. I think it should do. I did the voltage drop calculation and it worked out well.
Ah ... 340 watts at 12 volts is 28 amps .... A bit high for 12 AWG and as far as voltage drop, well you will have a ton.

· Salty Member
31,030 Posts
If it is 12 volts does it need to be listed?
:blink:

ARTICLE 411
Lighting Systems Operating at
30 Volts or Less
411.1 Scope. This article covers lighting systems operating
at 30 volts or less and their associated components.
411.2 Definition.
Lighting Systems Operating at 30 Volts or Less. A lighting
system consisting of an isolating power supply, the lowvoltage
luminaires, and associated equipment that are all identified
for the use. The output circuits of the power supply are
rated for not more than 25 amperes and operate at 30 volts
(42.4 volts peak) or less under all load conditions.

411.3 Listing Required. Lighting systems operating at
30 volts or less shall comply with 411.3(A) or 411.3(B).

411.3 Listing Required. Lighting systems operating at
30 volts or less shall comply with 411.3(A) or 411.3(B).

(A) Listed System. Lighting systems operating at 30 volts
or less shall be listed as a complete system. The luminaires,
power supply, and luminaire fittings (including the exposed
bare conductors) of an exposed bare conductor lighting system
shall be listed for the use as part of the same identified
lighting system.

(B) Assembly of Listed Parts. A lighting system assembled
from the following listed parts shall be permitted:

(1) Low-voltage luminaires

(2) Low-voltage luminaire power supply

(3) Class 2 power supply

(4) Low-voltage luminaire fittings

(5) Cord (secondary circuit) for which the luminaires and
power supply are listed for use

(6) Cable, conductors in conduit, or other fixed wiring
method for the secondary circuit

The luminaires, power supply, and luminaire fittings
(including the exposed bare conductors) of an exposed bare
conductor lighting system shall be listed for use as part of
the same identified lighting system.

· Premium Member
20,176 Posts
Thanks in advance!
Try to go with LED lamps if at all possible. Keep in mind that a 60watt lamp at 12 volts will draw 10x the amperage that a 120 volt lamp would. Not much to be concerned with unless the HO starts to change them after you are gone.

Would it be possible to reverse a pool transformer and give them the 120 volts?

· Premium Member
20,176 Posts
You will need to either either try to bump up the voltage 16 volts or run a separate circuit at least 3/4 of the way if they notice that the lamps will be kinda dim.
The 150' is killing your layout.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.