Electrician Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Light Bender
plumber
6,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
75Kva Isolation/power converter transformer. Guarantees an output within 1% of rated voltage. Basically is two transformers. Main one handles 80% of load, the other is a multi-tap secondary that is digitally controlled. It changes depending on what the utility is supplying so the output is always 208 volts.

·
ANY MONKEY CAN RUN!
1,769 Posts
Well that's nice less copper about 28 years ago we used General Electrics voltage regulators on some projects it did 1% +/- had a electric tap changer inside with DC operated motor . Times have changed from the old variac windings days

·
Light Bender
plumber
6,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Very cool...
Probably pretty cheap too?! :eek:
They wont tell me so probably a lot!

Pretty crazy. What was it powering?
UPS in a server room. Voltage varies quite a bit there but still within what the utility guarantees. The UPS on the other hand does not like low voltage and assumes a power failure.

They've lost stuff a few times which cost triple what this transformer does.

·
Donuts > Fried Eggs
17,042 Posts
...UPS in a server room. Voltage varies quite a bit there but still within what the utility guarantees. The UPS on the other hand does not like low voltage and assumes a power failure.

They've lost stuff a few times which cost triple what this transformer does.
Was the "stuff" lost the UPS itself? I don't follow how there'd be damage other than needlessly overloading that UPS.

·
Light Bender
plumber
6,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Was the "stuff" lost the UPS itself? I don't follow how there'd be damage other than needlessly overloading that UPS.
The "stuff" they lost is the servers shutting down. This data center is the hub for a major Canada wide company. They guarantee their customers will have up and running servers or they pay. They have generators to back up the generator which backs up the UPS.

Problem is the UPS assumes a power failure because of the low voltage coming in. The generators don't start because there is no power failure. UPS runs out = them spending a lot of $

1 - 9 of 9 Posts