Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Retired EC and Fuel distribution contractor
3,606 Posts
What's the difference in correcting and receding?

It can be that the dollar is just getting stronger along with an anticipation of a slowdown?

Reactions: splatz

·
Registered
Power distribution and controls
1,918 Posts
copper goes up and goes down with demand. When copper gets below $3.25 a pound the mines quit spending a lot of money for improvements. The mine I worked at had a bottom line for full production of $2.80 a pound.
Each mine has its own break even point. The mine I worked at was a leaching facility we did about 8000 pound of copper a week. From Silver City we sent the copper to El Paso to a rod plant. All on trucks.

·
Registered
Retired EC and Fuel distribution contractor
3,606 Posts
Reactions: yankeejoe1141

·
Super Moderator
Florida, USA
8,474 Posts
This is great news for consumers and I could honestly care less about investors. :)

What are your thoughts? Are prices correcting or receding?
"Copper dips below $4 per pound, suggesting 'the global economy' is in trouble"

Before the comma is fact.
After the comma is commentary.

I suggest it is because housing starts and closings are down.
Housing is easing.

It's a speculative futures market.
Speculators predict lower demand, that's all.

·
Can't Remember
10,939 Posts
Investing is one thing, but one segment of it doesn’t necessarily define everything. I agree sometimes it’s psychological, and the gloom and doom doesn’t help. I’m hopeful that Covid has passed, supply is starting to catch up and maybe inflation will slow. Maybe we can carry this for awhile.

·
Registered
Master Electrician
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What's the difference in correcting and receding?
Correcting = Supply and demand levels out. Life goes back to normal.

Receding = No one is buying, prices drop, production slows down. We get a recession or stagflation.

Probably fear over rising interest rates and lack of confidence in the current government on both sides of the border.

(Did you mean you could or could not care less?)
I couldn't not care less ;). Investors are still an important part of the economy.......unfortunately.

After the comma is commentary.
Sometimes I feel like they're just mocking us.

Rectangle Font Screenshot Electronic device Technology

·
Registered
Electrical Contractor
4,541 Posts
But, but, but, what about all the copper that was supposed to get eaten up by EV manufacturing? What about peak copper?

·
Registered
Electrical contractor 37 years. Electrical inspector 2 years
2,926 Posts
Since this thread is sort about economics can someone explain why "the experts" are saying unemployment has to get to 10% in order to stop inflation. That another 1 million people have to be let go? Is that for real or is someone rectally conversing? How are these unemployed people going to pay their bills?

·
Registered
Electrician
1,830 Posts
Since this thread is sort about economics can someone explain why "the experts" are saying unemployment has to get to 10% in order to stop inflation. That another 1 million people have to be let go? Is that for real or is someone rectally conversing? How are these unemployed people going to pay their bills?
I saw a headline today that Netflix laid off 300 people.

·
Registered
Catenary, traction power
188 Posts
Some economists believe that as unemployment goes down, inflation goes up and vice versa. I don't know enough about it to say whether that's actually how things work but it seems to be a relatively common idea at the federal reserve.
Also the unemployment numbers are cooked to make it look like there are far more people working than there actually are so anything related to that is immediately dubious.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts