Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 1500ft run of 3 phase 480v. After the voltage drop calcs, we are pulling #2 copper. I knew there was a savings in alum, but after pricing it put it was huge. Our customer want copper, even after the savings.

What are your thoughts of the new alum wire for feeders?

Sorry if this is a repeat topic

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Sure, I'll pull aluminum to cut cost for the customer, make the pull easier and increase profits for myself. If the customer specs copper, regardless of the savings, then they get copper. They get whatever they are willing to pay for.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have installed large feeders using al before with no issues. al has it's place......it's really up to the customer.

any issues with call backs? Loose connections, all the stuff that gives AL a bad rep...

This is a long term customer of ours. If I say AL is ok to run they will. We make more on copper, because it is a cost/plus % job.

·
animal lover /rat bastard
13,543 Posts
if pointing to all the power lines and asking the customer what they think is in those wires, and telling them how much they'll save doesn't convince them to use AL, then heck, take the extra O&P and run with it.

Reactions: Big John

·
Banned
16,967 Posts
This is the pull I did last week. If I went with aluminum it would have been 3 runs of 500 instead of 2. Which would have been another 500' of 4" and the labor to put it up. Where's the savings there?
I don't think anyone suggested that aluminum is less expensive across the board. But with AL being about 1/3 the cost of CU, the savings are significant under the right circumstances.

·
Registered
8,054 Posts
MTW said:
I don't think anyone suggested that aluminum is less expensive across the board. But with AL being about 1/3 the cost of CU, the savings are significant under the right circumstances.
True I can see it making sense in smaller feeders but the constant trade off is you're sacrificing cost for ampacity and physical size

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sounds like he wants to use aluminum but charge for copper

Would be nice to make that kind of money, but would not have this customer any more. This customer is not set up that way. We get a % over the material cost. We design, engineer, install everything. I brought up AL and it's savings, but they want copper cause it's better/safer/etc. I know what the sales reps say. Really looking to get an opinion from people who have used it.

·
Registered
8,054 Posts
Classic_Toby said:
Would be nice to make that kind of money, but would not have this customer any more. This customer is not set up that way. We get a % over the material cost. We design, engineer, install everything. I brought up AL and it's savings, but they want copper cause it's better/safer/etc. I know what the sales reps say. Really looking to get an opinion from people who have used it.
The place I work employs tons of engineers and knowledgable people who know damn well there's nothing wrong with aluminum conductors. Nevertheless, we can't use it. They don't even care to give us a reason, they just won't have it. Personally I couldn't care less

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.