Electrician Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone using the CopperWire GFCI's are having a load issue. It seems everytime we install one, or at least very frequently, the GFCI does not continue the circuit. There seems to be a connection between the pressure on the wire and screws with how well the GFCI functions. Could this possibly be a "safety" feature included by the manufacturer? :whistling2:

·
Town Drunk
3,725 Posts
You are using a screwdriver, and not a cordless drill, right? :no:

·
Registered
7,984 Posts
I was wondering if anyone using the CopperWire GFCI's are having a load issue. It seems everytime we install one, or at least very frequently, the GFCI does not continue the circuit. There seems to be a connection between the pressure on the wire and screws with how well the GFCI functions. Could this possibly be a "safety" feature included by the manufacturer? :whistling2:
Did You Mean Cooper?

·
Semi-Retired
1,289 Posts
I was wondering if anyone using the CopperWire GFCI's are having a load issue. It seems everytime we install one, or at least very frequently, the GFCI does not continue the circuit.
Get a brand new one off the shelf and carefully read their install instructions. In particular, the strip gauge (amount of bare wire to be inserted). Also ohm it to verify it actually works.

When you are actually installing them the work area is often tight, where you have to hold the device, and wire and yourself at odd positions. This can impact on how well the installer gets the properly stripped wire into position and MORE importantly to have the wire STAY positioned while you manipulate the device and then tuck it and all the wires back into the j box.

This is real basic stuff and I would hope you already know it, but just in case you (or whoever else) isn't clear... it is usually the real basic stuff being glossed over that causes these troubleshooting issues.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well see the thing is that we have had several problems with inserting the wire into the proper slots, so we decided that we would only wrap the wire around the screws.... I mean, we don't have any problems with our SmartLock Pro GFCI's..... idk..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.