Electrician Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every now and again, you'll go back to a place to trim out, and the kitchen or bathroom counter areas that were installed don't jive with the plan you were originally given. That sorta makes the electrician's work look junky, but what's a guy to do? This is what happened to me today in a bathroom. The GFCI at this double sink ended up right square behind the one spiggot. The basin layout, as installed, was way different than the original plan. This one was a bummer, too, because that box gets the home run for a multi wire circuit. There was the 3-wire home run in there, a 2-wire leaving to serve the second circuit, and a GFCI load side cable going to the rec at the other end. The builder (this was a spec home) just wanted me to blank plate that GFCI. I couldn't really do that, because the other receptacle was about 6 feet away from this basin. The "after" picture was the best compromise between what he wanted me to do and what I'd have liked to have done. I just ran a line and load side 2-wire from the existing box over to a new box, and blank plated the connections in the existing box. Suck azz way to do things, but whatever.

·
Town Drunk
3,725 Posts
That's what he gets for makeing a change without telling you. (That, and a bill for the extra work, of course)

·
Town Drunk
3,725 Posts
And doesn't it always happen where you have multifeeds, or xtra wires? Never at the dead end.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
I cannot stand that! When someone looks at that, they are going to say " was that electrician stupid, that looks horrible", they are not going to say " they must have changed the lay out on the electrician".

·
Modérateur
8,692 Posts
That one thing i hate in remodling in Kitchen and Bathroom they are always pain in the [ whatever you called ].

the other issue when the GC or HO not always inforemed you the running change and many time i will just put extra charge for it

that why i have a clause on my contract saying " if any change from orignal spec will result extra charge "

that will useally stop them in track and they know it :whistling2:

Merci , Marc

·
Registered
31,871 Posts
Marc:

Ever go to a house for a bathroom redo only to find out the customer has already done 90% of the work new tub, shower, vanity and wall paper after completing they realized maybe a new outlet a switch here maybe new fixtures. Meaning you have to fish and hope the locations you pick are not only clear of obstructions but meet their expectations

·
Premium Member
20,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I cannot stand that! When someone looks at that, they are going to say " was that electrician stupid, that looks horrible", they are not going to say " they must have changed the lay out on the electrician".
Precisely! That's why stuff like this eats at me. No matter what, for the next 100 years, the electrician will get the blame for this.

·
Premium Member
20,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Marc:

Ever go to a house for a bathroom redo only to find out the customer has already done 90% of the work new tub, shower, vanity and wall paper after completing they realized maybe a new outlet a switch here maybe new fixtures. Meaning you have to fish and hope the locations you pick are not only clear of obstructions but meet their expectations
All too often. If a price was ever given before, that job just became T&M work at that point.

·
Town Drunk
3,725 Posts
Precisely! That's why stuff like this eats at me. No matter what, for the next 100 years, the electrician will get the blame for this.
Now, THERE is a man with confidence in his work!:thumbsup: "Good for a full century!":thumbup:

·
Modérateur
8,692 Posts
Marc:

:whistling2: tell me about it few case it was pain in the butt but some case it was a challange.

I have one house not too long ago the comuster want me to add new scone lumiaire and guess what one spot i did hit was a natrual gas pipe and [ the gas code did not allow copper pipe in the wall ] and got me by suprised. anyway to quick point the comusmer did relized that he goof up with gas pipe and i end up paying to remove 35 feet worth of copper gas pipe and rerun with steel pipe

Merci , Marc

·
Registered
Electrician
3,560 Posts
Wire a house many years ago. Bathroom had 8' mirror over the vanity. Laid out two boxes liek she want, passed rough and everything was good.
Went back for trim and mirror guy was there and asked if I could move one of the boxes, cause he had a scratch on the mirror, and moving the outlet would cover it.
I asked who was gonna pay, ho said not me, mirror guy asked how much, told him, he said he would drive the 100 mile round trip to replace the mirror.
Ho was glad cause the outlets were where she wanted them anyway.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Marc:

I had a client that had a house that was built in the fifties and had two receptacles in the kitchen that he had just replaced all of the cabinets, sink, and counter tops before he decided that he should add more receptacles.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts