Electrician Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wrote my red seal exam this week and remember a few questions I was unsure about. Anyone know what the answers would be,

A contactor consists of the following basic components:

A - Core, Armature, Contacts
B - Contacts, Springs, Coil
C - Core, Contacts, Coil
D - Core, Armature, Coil

I went with C on this one.

What is installed first at a VFD?

A - Rectifier
B - Inverter
C - SCR
D - Surge protection

I went with Scr on this one.

What should be used to clean a flame sensor on a precision boiler?

A - Sand Paper
B - Steel Wool
C - Emery Cloth
D - Stone

I thought you could use both steel wool or emery cloth but I went with steel wool

The last question was a diagram showing a panel which had a conduit coming out going to a stop button and then a start button for a motor control circuit. It asked how many cables were in the conduit at the part coming out of the panel. It says the conduit was plastic so do you count a ground as one of the conductors? The answer is either 4 or 5 depending on the ground is counted.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Just wrote my red seal exam this week and remember a few questions I was unsure about. Anyone know what the answers would be,

The last question was a diagram showing a panel which had a conduit coming out going to a stop button and then a start button for a motor control circuit. It asked how many cables were in the conduit at the part coming out of the panel. It says the conduit was plastic so do you count a ground as one of the conductors? The answer is either 4 or 5 depending on the ground is counted.
4 wires... 3 for the control, and 1 for the ground...

·
Donuts > Fried Eggs
17,042 Posts
I always get chest pains reading test questions.
A contactor consists of the following basic components:

A - Core, Armature, Contacts
B - Contacts, Springs, Coil
C - Core, Contacts, Coil
D - Core, Armature, Coil
As far as I know, all contactors have moving armatures, field coils, coil cores, and load contacts. They don't always have springs. But that's not even an option, so...?
What is installed first at a VFD?

A - Rectifier
B - Inverter
C - SCR
D - Surge protection
We don't install any of those, unless they count a line reactor as "surge protection." If they're asking what comes first inside the VFD assembly, it's the rectifier, but again, that's a really poorly worded question.
What should be used to clean a flame sensor on a precision boiler?

A - Sand Paper
B - Steel Wool
C - Emery Cloth
D - Stone
I know it's not stone because that'd be a pain in the ass, and it's not sand-paper because that can contaminate the sensor with sand particles. But emery and steel wool will both work and god knows what these people think is the "right" answer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.