Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
jeromjenkins said:
Anyone use craftsman drills and impacts for commercial work?
My first screw gun was the craftsman 14.4 and it took a good beating and never let me down. That was back in the late 90's though.

·
Armed and Unhinged
424 Posts
My wife got me the 20v lithium ion "bolt on" drill. Use it for commercial and works great, more balls then a ridgit or ryobi. Charges fast, and the batteries last forever.

I though I would burn the motor out in a month or two doing commercial, but it has lasted. Came with the drill driver; she also got me the impact, and the jigsaw attachment. Both work great. I seen they also have a sawzall attachment, but I already have a sawzall. Looks like the Milwaukee 18v compact one.

Saves space and weight, 2 batteries is all you need. I have cut 1/2 RMC in tight corners with the jigsaw, but I would just get the sawzall since they have that out now. I have no experience with the hammer drill attachment either; I have a big bosch for that.

Long story short; I thought it would be a DIY'er tool that wouldn't withstand professional use, but it has proven me wrong. Everyone I have worked with thought very highly of it. Great xmas gift that has made me a lot of money. I have also dropped it from 20' and it survived; no problems or complaints.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have been using a 12 volt nextec right angle impact daily for just over 2 years and its still going strong.

Mainly residental and commercial service not much new work anymore though.

·
corn-fused
4,769 Posts
wife bought me one a couple years ago. it stays in the garage. batteries suck, but overall the tools arent ntoo bad. not for comm.!

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
jeromjenkins said:
I ask cause I am low on funds and need to buy one for work. If anyone had any suggestions, they are welcome.
I love ryobi. I abuse my ryobi stuff daily and it holds up just fine.

·
Electrical Contractor
Trying to retire or at least slow down a bit, but life not cooperating
5,240 Posts
Anyone use craftsman drills and impacts for commercial work?
I know a carpenter that has used Craftsman drills for years. He drove screws all day long, and the drill never crapped out
Being reasonably priced, he felt that if he had too, he could buy a new every year, he would still ahead when compared to the price and life of other brands (btw, he didnt have to buy a new one every year)

·
Registered
90 Posts
When I first started I used my 19.2 volt from home it worked fine for about 6 months. 1 of my batteries blew up, sounded like a cap gun going off. I did have the drill under a bit of load drilling through a top plate with a speed bit but nothing crazy.
Sears replaced it but even with a new battery the drill was still 'tired'

Decided it was time to upgrade bought a Milwaukee and it's not perfect but definitely a higher class of drill then the craftsman. I wouldn't buy a craftsman for work but if you already have one it will get you by for awhile. Fine for home, fine for backup but it won't last on jobsite.

·
:-)
3,670 Posts
I love ryobi. I abuse my ryobi stuff daily and it holds up just fine.
I used Ryobi for years. Still use the 18V hedge trimmer weed whacker . :)

Nothing wrong with them. At all.

Then one day I decided to get the M18 Fuel line.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I ask cause I am low on funds and need to buy one for work. If anyone had any suggestions, they are welcome.
Look at porter cable at Lowes if funds arent strong and you need a drill.

I bought my hammer drill Jan 2010 and worked it hard til summer of of 2013. When the company got me a Bosch.

I also got a four piece combo and a impact. All ni cad. Everything works like the day I got it and everything has done what I asked.

·
Registered
27 Posts
michael3 said:
Look at porter cable at Lowes if funds arent strong and you need a drill. I bought my hammer drill Jan 2010 and worked it hard til summer of of 2013. When the company got me a Bosch. I also got a four piece combo and a impact. All ni cad. Everything works like the day I got it and everything has done what I asked.
I also purchased a porter cable kit from lowes. Overall, fantastic set. The circ saw is a little underpowered, but the drill, and recip saw make up for it.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I also purchased a porter cable kit from lowes. Overall, fantastic set. The circ saw is a little underpowered, but the drill, and recip saw make up for it.
I built something with 2x4's and used the circ saw. You are right nothing great but got me through the job.... maybe 16 cuts one battery that wasn't fresh from the charger.

I still use the sawzall weekly.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Good question. I had An interview today and I was told I would need to get a drill. At my current employer, he supplies them.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts